1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Consumer Review: W126 is my baby

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan - Consumer Review

W126 is my baby
By Chad Koury on

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SEL 4dr Sedan

Where to start, the W126 series running from 1985 to 1991 is one of the most recognizeable cars ever made my Mercedes Benz. It catches everyone's eye and will last as long as you pay for up-keep. But there is the issue, my 300SEL, being 18 years old will cost you about two thousand dollars a year on average for up keep after the water pump (which will go out after about 15 years) hoses, and other common parts go bad. I'm not saying it will be exactly two thousand a year, it may be three hundred one year, and thirty seven hundred the next. However, excelent design, increadibly intuitive, basically a tank.

Looks; whatever engine doesn't matter, they're all good; ahead-of-its-time design; stock sound system is surprisingly good; Safety features. This car will save a life.

Proctection for the undercarriage, I busted the oil pan 7 months ago, and the underside scrapes on the road when you drive over a hump