Used 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:

Arguably, the best car ever made
By WinstonSmith6076

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

Let me state unequivocally that this is the best ride of any car I've driven, BMW, Jaguar, Lincoln, etc. There is a reason the Mercedes has the reputation of being a great car, and this model is why. I bought my 300e from a friend who drove it for seven years as the second owner. This car now has 167,000 miles and handles as if it were on rails. It still has the OEM supension but I did upgrade to Yokihama performance tires. Paint and interior leather are like new, except for one quarter-sized bit of rust. The engine does leak oil as you'll find on the bulletin boards, but car and maintenance will resolve that issue.

This car has every option, but the best feature is the engineering of the ride. Eight hour trips are a relaxing day in this car, something to look forward to.

I was told by several mechanics that the 300 series was the most popular ever, and therefore, parts are plentiful and inexpensive. Despite the inexpensive parts, repairs are a bit costly because of the labor. Find an independent mechanic if you can.

300D
By alex

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300D Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I bought a 300D a few months ago and I think it is one of the best cars you can get. It is the most reliable car I have ever had. It's a little bit slow but the comfort makes up for it. If you're looking for a good car that is cheap on insurance it is the way to go.

Love my Benz
By Fundir

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SEL 4dr Sedan

Just bought this 300SEL about a month ago from the original owner who was friend. It never saw snow or bad weather so it was in great shape. After driving, Park Avenues, Lincolns, Cadillacs and Chryslers I find this the best out of them all. I find myself leaving the new DeVille in the garage and driving this. I cannot believe how quiet this car is and how roomy it is. We just got back from a day trip with friends and they couldn;t get over how quiet the interior is and how no road noise could be heard inside. After a couple of hours of driving none of us were horse from trying to talk over the road noise you get from most cars. I definitely plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Roominess, quiet at highway speeds, simple elegence of the whole car. You do not need to be a rocket scientist to be able to run this car.

More horsepower.

Sweet 90
By James

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1990 300e 15 months ago. Today I am learning that my water pump is in need of replacement and it will be a bit pricy. What I can say is that with 190K miles, that is to be expected. Otherwise I can say that this car loves the road. It's 15 years old and yet everytime I get into the car, I still get that first time drivin' feeling. I encourage all who research buying an old 300E to get to know what you are looking at. When you come across a goodie, don't pass it up!

Fine leather that won't fade out as quick as Japanese or American leather. Solid wood grain, safety like no other car. On the highway I still get 26 MPG. Even with 190K!!

It's kind of late for that!!

1989 300 SEL, Pearl Black w/Sunroof
By balderdash

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SEL 4dr Sedan

Was bought with 87,000 miles from friend who bought it new. Accept for a few minor replacements of radiator, fuel pump relay and evaporator core & hose assembly which seemed somewhat expensive my wife enjoys driving it. We have after 4 yrs increased the mileage to 117,000. We probably will keep it until "the wheels are square" as they say with this latest A/C expense.

Power seat adjustments, sliding sunroof, comfort, safety in solidly built body.

Poorly designed evaporator core as well as in dash location. Very expensive replacement and labor cost especially with hose assembly.