Used 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300TE 4MATIC Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:

Bought used and still going
By MJG

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Wagon 300TE 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought the 4-matic wagon used at 180,000km and had immediate issues with the transfer case, transmission and drive train generally. The ultimate solution to the AWD problems was to remove the front drive shaft. Once over initial maintenance corrections the car settled down to being very reliable and comfortable transportation. Currently it is over 430,000km and still going. The body is just now beginning to show some rust nineteen years after it was built. What a great car!

Great ride, fast on the highway, comfortable and a great workhorse. Although not recommended I did put a class one hitch on it which has been highly useful. An absolutely bullet-proof engine.

The later 320 models with the bigger engine perform better. The 300's acceleration is leisurely.

My '90 300TE 4-Matic
By JSRowley

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Wagon 300TE 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Compared to other cars I've owned this car is the best in style (I at least like it), quality, and dependability that I have ever owned. While it occasionally does have its problems, they are very few. I bought the car with 160k miles and now I have over 220k. It seems to be like the energizer bunny cause it just keeps going, & going, & going, with very little maintenance or repair costs. I'm sure if I took better care of it (ie: tune- ups, oil changes, etc.), it would still be like new, although it never has given me any major problems and still runs like a sports car.

It's a fire engine red color which seems to really get attention. I love the engine "pep", memory power driver seat, the way the cruise control works - which is very easy to traffic, the sunroof, and the 3rd seat.

The suspension is very strange and the front would sometimes shake as if a wheel was loose or something. I was told over & over that nothing was wrong (ie: alignment or balance). After going through sets of Michelin's & Continental's, it finally stopped when I put a pair of Korean made Hancook's on.