Used 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:

A reliable inline-6 S-Class
By Michael L

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been reliable. Now that it is 21 years old with 146,000 miles there are a few wear and tear items. First, my right rear passenger window regulator went out along with the door lock mechanism. The radio volume relay switch went out and was replaced. There are some wear and tear items that need to be addressed, but as long as I can drive it safely.

Favorite Features

Reliable in-line 6 engine with fuel efficiency. The acceleration passing is responsive on the freeway. Very comfortable car.

Suggested Improvements

Rear legroom, but of course this is not the SEL model.

Best car I have ever owned - 40 years
By stein-dog

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SE 4dr Sedan

This "S" class w126 sedan is the most reliable, best riding, safest car I have ever owned and has been the least expensive to maintain as well. Bought it w/ 122K miles 4 years ago (I'm 3rd owner); now at 148K, and have had only $2K in "by the book maintenance" costs during that period. I would take it across the country tomorrow without hesitation. Rides great, rock solid on the road, and stately about town. Bullet proof safety. Gas mileage is not great 15/20 but what a ride. Always gets looks at stop lights and parking lots. Key to buying one of these is complete records which mine has since new. I've had 3 BMWs,3 Saabs,1 Cadillac & a Corvette The Benz is hands down the best!

Favorite Features

Elegant appearance, big comfortable seats, quiet solid ride, substantial feel. Outstanding value even at this age.

Suggested Improvements

Start making them again!

Bought it new and still loving it!
By benzie300SE

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SE 4dr Sedan

Parents bought the car new, and it was given to me when I got my permit ten years ago. Rarely gives trouble. If you don't know how to drive it, it can be slow, but hit the top of the accelerator and the car will throw you back in your seat. Best car to get into a wreck in. A TrailBlazer hit me and did a number on the Chevy while leaving me with a scratch. I like this car so much I bought another one, if that tells you anything. The gas mileage is good. I get about 18 in the city w/ A/C on full blast. While I've owned this car, I've owned an AUDI, VW, two BMW's (very needy cars!), and an Infiniti. None, not even the Infiniti, held up like the MB. These cars are built like tanks that last forever.

Favorite Features

Huge sunroof. Seats. Turning radius. Ultra smooth ride, and good handling for a huge car. it's built to take what ever you can dish out. Trust me, I got the car when I was 15 years old and it still hasn't skipped a beat! You'll get hypnotized looking at the 3-pointed star while you drive.

Suggested Improvements

One cannot improve perfection

Beautiful Car
By xwingftr

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased March '05. My wife's uncle had owned it since new and he was selling while I was looking to replace my daily driver. I've never owned a Mercedes, I don't consider myself a Mercedes person, I'm actually a sports car guy. The car has not dissapointed me. It is very slow getting going from a stop, solid build quality, quiet, simple yet comfortable inside, nice leather and sound system. Did I say slow. Once you're up to highway speeds, the car accelerates and handles much better. It is actually fairly easy to do maintenance on and has been very reliable so far. I just went over 115K and, I'm told, she still has another 200K left! They are solid, feels like you're driving a tank at times.

Favorite Features

Solid feel, quiet, response at highway speeds, fuel mileage (21mpg), secure. Very safe car. ABS, air bag, great car!

Suggested Improvements

More low end torque to get the beast going.

Buy low and be ready to spend
By rossperot

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased used in Feb 2002. Car was in fantastic cosmetic condition with 108K. Have had a complete brake system overhaul and replaced Head Gasket. Also replaced AC blower motor and turn signal/emergency flasher unit. (turn signal flasher is not a $5 plug in type) Park Place Mercedes in Dallas appears to not want my business (as they refer to - "a car that old") Not been easy to find a capable mechanic to work on the vehicle. Thought to have been a good value at time of purchase, now higher cost, but still within reason considering condition.

Favorite Features

Solid and very secure feeling. The tri- star on the hood tells it all.