Used 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4MATIC Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:

Awesome ride for the Money
By Ms Peggy

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased this car from an auction, I have since replaced the alternator and fan belt. Other than that she drives like a dream. I sometimes can not believe this car is also 20 years old. She is sturdy & dependable. Ohhhhhhh the ride. Driving on 95 isnt so bad any more. This is my second Mercedes and hands down the 300E is a better car for the money.I wish had this when I first started driving.

Favorite Features

The comfortable seats while on long journeys. Very toasty in the winter. My baby is all metal..I accidential stuck my leg out the drivers side door and the wind blow the door back on my leg. I still have the scar.

Suggested Improvements

I found that she doesnt handle well in the snow...for German made car I find that strange. I recently bought wider tires...well see!

Arguably, the best car ever made
By WinstonSmith6076

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

Let me state unequivocally that this is the best ride of any car I've driven, BMW, Jaguar, Lincoln, etc. There is a reason the Mercedes has the reputation of being a great car, and this model is why. I bought my 300e from a friend who drove it for seven years as the second owner. This car now has 167,000 miles and handles as if it were on rails. It still has the OEM supension but I did upgrade to Yokihama performance tires. Paint and interior leather are like new, except for one quarter-sized bit of rust. The engine does leak oil as you'll find on the bulletin boards, but car and maintenance will resolve that issue.

Favorite Features

This car has every option, but the best feature is the engineering of the ride. Eight hour trips are a relaxing day in this car, something to look forward to.

Suggested Improvements

I was told by several mechanics that the 300 series was the most popular ever, and therefore, parts are plentiful and inexpensive. Despite the inexpensive parts, repairs are a bit costly because of the labor. Find an independent mechanic if you can.