Used 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Mercedes-benz 300-class - Consumer Reviews

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:

Most Helpful|
Mercedes 300E 1990 My First Car!
By Alexstaar

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I got this car 3 months ago and I love it! It has a wonderful ride! it's fun to drive too! Mine has 190K miles now. It gets about 17 mpg city and not sure about the HWY because i have not driven it long distance on the highway. It does 0-60 in about 9 sec. It has awesome styling for 1990. I Love it!

Favorite Features

Good factory stereo system. ABS and a driver airbag. Smooth ride. Power everything!

Suggested Improvements

My cruise control doesn't work but it can be fixed. Nothing else!

Old but a classic
By James

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

Have a '88 model - I am at the least the 4th owner. Considering that the car has 175,000 miles on it I think that this is one of the best cars I have ever owned (out of Mitsubishi, GMC, Toyota, Crysler, VW, Nissan) It runs every day without any hesitation. For sure it has a few small issues but with it's advanced age it is to be expected, Had engine seals redone recently to pass inspection, replaced injectors (less than an hour) and minor maintenance like fuel filter, plugs. I had never fancied a MB but seeing that I was temporary where I am, wasn't going into debt for a car, paid $2000 and expect to recoup my investment when I leave. Would not hesitate to buy another anywhere I go.

Favorite Features

quiet solid ride, natural driving position, ease of maintenance

Suggested Improvements

too late for that

1987 Merc. 300e
By Jay

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 258,000 km on it, everything original. I think thats where i went wrong. As soon as i got it, brake lines snapped, subframe mounts needed to be changed, ball joint snapped on me while i was driving, all 4 springs were broken in their seats, rear shocks went, cruise control doesn't work, a/c doesn't work, climate control constantly in heat mode, door lock cylinders seize up, exterior light failure relay went on it.etc. I hate it but love it. no matter what, it doesn't die. it starts every time with no problems. Its 23 years old, of coarse things are going to fail, and if it wasn't for rust, her parts would have lasted longer, i still love it and it handles and drives amazing

Favorite Features

Power rear folding headrests are a good laugh when friends are asleep in the back. Love sunroof and the power and sound of the engine.

Suggested Improvements

Bravo Mercedes Benz, but to the rich owners that kill these cars once they first buy them and don't care because they are gonna buy a new one in a year, you guys need to take better care of your cars cause kids like me end up getting one that was poorly maintained and never undercoated.

Best car I have ever owned - 40 years
By stein-dog

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SE 4dr Sedan

This "S" class w126 sedan is the most reliable, best riding, safest car I have ever owned and has been the least expensive to maintain as well. Bought it w/ 122K miles 4 years ago (I'm 3rd owner); now at 148K, and have had only $2K in "by the book maintenance" costs during that period. I would take it across the country tomorrow without hesitation. Rides great, rock solid on the road, and stately about town. Bullet proof safety. Gas mileage is not great 15/20 but what a ride. Always gets looks at stop lights and parking lots. Key to buying one of these is complete records which mine has since new. I've had 3 BMWs,3 Saabs,1 Cadillac & a Corvette The Benz is hands down the best!

Favorite Features

Elegant appearance, big comfortable seats, quiet solid ride, substantial feel. Outstanding value even at this age.

Suggested Improvements

Start making them again!

A reliable inline-6 S-Class
By Michael L

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been reliable. Now that it is 21 years old with 146,000 miles there are a few wear and tear items. First, my right rear passenger window regulator went out along with the door lock mechanism. The radio volume relay switch went out and was replaced. There are some wear and tear items that need to be addressed, but as long as I can drive it safely.

Favorite Features

Reliable in-line 6 engine with fuel efficiency. The acceleration passing is responsive on the freeway. Very comfortable car.

Suggested Improvements

Rear legroom, but of course this is not the SEL model.