1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:
Old but a classic
By James on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

Have a '88 model - I am at the least the 4th owner. Considering that the car has 175,000 miles on it I think that this is one of the best cars I have ever owned (out of Mitsubishi, GMC, Toyota, Crysler, VW, Nissan) It runs every day without any hesitation. For sure it has a few small issues but with it's advanced age it is to be expected, Had engine seals redone recently to pass inspection, replaced injectors (less than an hour) and minor maintenance like fuel filter, plugs. I had never fancied a MB but seeing that I was temporary where I am, wasn't going into debt for a car, paid $2000 and expect to recoup my investment when I leave. Would not hesitate to buy another anywhere I go.

1987 Merc. 300e
By Jay on 07/27/10 16:10 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 258,000 km on it, everything original. I think thats where i went wrong. As soon as i got it, brake lines snapped, subframe mounts needed to be changed, ball joint snapped on me while i was driving, all 4 springs were broken in their seats, rear shocks went, cruise control doesn't work, a/c doesn't work, climate control constantly in heat mode, door lock cylinders seize up, exterior light failure relay went on it.etc. I hate it but love it. no matter what, it doesn't die. it starts every time with no problems. Its 23 years old, of coarse things are going to fail, and if it wasn't for rust, her parts would have lasted longer, i still love it and it handles and drives amazing

Mercedes 300E 1990 My First Car!
By Alexstaar on 06/05/10 17:39 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I got this car 3 months ago and I love it! It has a wonderful ride! it's fun to drive too! Mine has 190K miles now. It gets about 17 mpg city and not sure about the HWY because i have not driven it long distance on the highway. It does 0-60 in about 9 sec. It has awesome styling for 1990. I Love it!

A reliable inline-6 S-Class
By Michael L on 05/03/10 23:33 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been reliable. Now that it is 21 years old with 146,000 miles there are a few wear and tear items. First, my right rear passenger window regulator went out along with the door lock mechanism. The radio volume relay switch went out and was replaced. There are some wear and tear items that need to be addressed, but as long as I can drive it safely.

Best car I have ever owned - 40 years
By stein-dog on 02/12/10 16:23 PM (PST)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SE 4dr Sedan

This "S" class w126 sedan is the most reliable, best riding, safest car I have ever owned and has been the least expensive to maintain as well. Bought it w/ 122K miles 4 years ago (I'm 3rd owner); now at 148K, and have had only $2K in "by the book maintenance" costs during that period. I would take it across the country tomorrow without hesitation. Rides great, rock solid on the road, and stately about town. Bullet proof safety. Gas mileage is not great 15/20 but what a ride. Always gets looks at stop lights and parking lots. Key to buying one of these is complete records which mine has since new. I've had 3 BMWs,3 Saabs,1 Cadillac & a Corvette The Benz is hands down the best!

Awesome ride for the Money
By Ms Peggy on 06/12/09 21:05 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased this car from an auction, I have since replaced the alternator and fan belt. Other than that she drives like a dream. I sometimes can not believe this car is also 20 years old. She is sturdy & dependable. Ohhhhhhh the ride. Driving on 95 isnt so bad any more. This is my second Mercedes and hands down the 300E is a better car for the money.I wish had this when I first started driving.

Awesome First Car
By Bsavoie93 on 04/28/09 20:02 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

For my first car my parents bought a White 1990 Mercedes 300E. I love everything about the car except it has terrible pick up. Pulling out into traffic is terrifying sometimes. But once I'm on the freeway the power is great. Other than that the car is awesome. Its extremely comfortable, since my dad put new struts on it the ride is extremely smooth. My mom loves the power seats and all the things the headrests do. And everything on the car is built solid and strong. No cheap plastic. All my friends are envious of it and they don't realize that it is a 20 year old car. She's a great car and she will run for a long time.

W126 is my baby
By Chad Koury on 03/25/08 11:06 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SEL 4dr Sedan

Where to start, the W126 series running from 1985 to 1991 is one of the most recognizeable cars ever made my Mercedes Benz. It catches everyone's eye and will last as long as you pay for up-keep. But there is the issue, my 300SEL, being 18 years old will cost you about two thousand dollars a year on average for up keep after the water pump (which will go out after about 15 years) hoses, and other common parts go bad. I'm not saying it will be exactly two thousand a year, it may be three hundred one year, and thirty seven hundred the next. However, excelent design, increadibly intuitive, basically a tank.

Best of them all
By MercBfan on 08/29/07 16:28 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300E 4dr Sedan

This is my first Mercedes Benz. It was my grandmothers, who gave it to my aunt, who gave it to me. We have the '07 E and S classes, and both of them do not compare to what I drive! For a 17 year old...its solid, safe, and fun. It hasn't even touched 160 miles yet and it purrs every simgle time I start it up. Although I just got the 2008 C350, I am keeping this car for my future children and to fix up to the highest potential

Bought it new and still loving it!
By benzie300SE on 09/07/06 23:47 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Sedan 300SE 4dr Sedan

Parents bought the car new, and it was given to me when I got my permit ten years ago. Rarely gives trouble. If you don't know how to drive it, it can be slow, but hit the top of the accelerator and the car will throw you back in your seat. Best car to get into a wreck in. A TrailBlazer hit me and did a number on the Chevy while leaving me with a scratch. I like this car so much I bought another one, if that tells you anything. The gas mileage is good. I get about 18 in the city w/ A/C on full blast. While I've owned this car, I've owned an AUDI, VW, two BMW's (very needy cars!), and an Infiniti. None, not even the Infiniti, held up like the MB. These cars are built like tanks that last forever.