Used 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SEL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
1989 300 SEL, Pearl Black w/Sunroof
By balderdash

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SEL 4dr Sedan

Was bought with 87,000 miles from friend who bought it new. Accept for a few minor replacements of radiator, fuel pump relay and evaporator core & hose assembly which seemed somewhat expensive my wife enjoys driving it. We have after 4 yrs increased the mileage to 117,000. We probably will keep it until "the wheels are square" as they say with this latest A/C expense.

Favorite Features

Power seat adjustments, sliding sunroof, comfort, safety in solidly built body.

Suggested Improvements

Poorly designed evaporator core as well as in dash location. Very expensive replacement and labor cost especially with hose assembly.

W126 is my baby
By Chad Koury

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SEL 4dr Sedan

Where to start, the W126 series running from 1985 to 1991 is one of the most recognizeable cars ever made my Mercedes Benz. It catches everyone's eye and will last as long as you pay for up-keep. But there is the issue, my 300SEL, being 18 years old will cost you about two thousand dollars a year on average for up keep after the water pump (which will go out after about 15 years) hoses, and other common parts go bad. I'm not saying it will be exactly two thousand a year, it may be three hundred one year, and thirty seven hundred the next. However, excelent design, increadibly intuitive, basically a tank.

Favorite Features

Looks; whatever engine doesn't matter, they're all good; ahead-of-its-time design; stock sound system is surprisingly good; Safety features. This car will save a life.

Suggested Improvements

Proctection for the undercarriage, I busted the oil pan 7 months ago, and the underside scrapes on the road when you drive over a hump

Love my Benz
By Fundir

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SEL 4dr Sedan

Just bought this 300SEL about a month ago from the original owner who was friend. It never saw snow or bad weather so it was in great shape. After driving, Park Avenues, Lincolns, Cadillacs and Chryslers I find this the best out of them all. I find myself leaving the new DeVille in the garage and driving this. I cannot believe how quiet this car is and how roomy it is. We just got back from a day trip with friends and they couldn;t get over how quiet the interior is and how no road noise could be heard inside. After a couple of hours of driving none of us were horse from trying to talk over the road noise you get from most cars. I definitely plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Favorite Features

Roominess, quiet at highway speeds, simple elegence of the whole car. You do not need to be a rocket scientist to be able to run this car.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower.

Great Car!
By Nick

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SEL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL new in 1990. I have had to repair the antifreeze tank and radiator. I have heard about others having the same problem. I love driving it and it runs like it's brand new. When it was new for about five years, my wife, kids and I used to take it up to Cape Cod and never had any problems. Now that I have a Chevrolet Suburban, I don't drive it as often, which is why it only has 42,000 miles on it! We all occasionally take it out for a quick spin to see my parents or go to the supermarket. I am very pleased with it and love it very much.

Favorite Features

Adjustable head rests, programable passenger seat, antitheft radio system, and rear interior light switch in center console.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine; could have more than 3 liters and more horsepower. Automatic front headlights that turn off with the car (I have forgotten them on a few times!)

Great and Dependable
By N. H.

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SEL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new back in 1990 and it has lasted me 15 years so far. I love it and it is very fun to drive. I have also taken it to Massachusetts when it was new about 4 times. Coincidentally, I have had problems in the past with a cracked antifreeze tank and radiator. Otherwise, it is an excellent car, but living in Connecticut with harsh winters, I can't drive it as often as I would like. My sister has the new 2005 S430 and I still like mine better because the build quality is better and it is actually bigger (I did the dimensions)!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, antitheft system, power passenger seats, heated seats and mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Like Adeluca said, bigger engine. Better fuel economy, and bigger gas tank.