1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 190-Class model:
My First Love (and car)
By KMK on 01/05/10 16:31 PM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

This was my first car when I got my license at 16. It was previously my father's car, which he bought brand new from the dealership. This car was solid, I always felt safe, and it was great to learn how to drive on. The fixes on this car were a bit expensive, but the time and money spent were totally worth it. Unfortunately, we donated the car to charity after it accumulated approximately 205,000 miles. Even then it was still up and running. I hear that someone bought it at an auction and it is still going strong.

awesome car
By Zac on 08/18/09 17:51 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

This has been a greAT CAR NOW HAS 255000 miles on it and still does 140mph+ my uncle bought it new in 1993 and its been well taken care of since I'm a mechanic so maintainance and part replacement is no problem for me however if you're a diy person this car could cost some serious money to repair overall though it is and has been an excellent car by the way do not roll the window down at 140 it will rip the leather off the rear interior panel over the back seat the car handles incredibly well when a suspension upgrade has been performed my car drifts very well and does well in races planning to drop a five speed in it because it needs a fifth gear to be race ready plus i have plans for turbo

2nd 190e; Fantastic Car, again
By jaxpdx on 05/19/09 19:44 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I gave my first one to my niece. It had 230k miles. She will get 300k, if she takes care of it. I am mostly a Jag man, so I know alot about reliability or the lack of it. I am so impressed by these cars that I keep one around for blasting around town, when I want to go old school. Easy driving, sporty demeanor, classic looks, pre-"we will no longer over- engineer our cars". Great value for the money. If I had kids, it would be their first car. It has not been that expensive to repair. Makes me feel good to have different driver's experience, from my beloved jags. With just 130k on this one, I will be driving it for some time.

Great 190e
By Dan-mmts on 09/01/07 18:29 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

The only down side to the 93 190e 2.6 is that it is not very simple to work on yourself. The undercarage is put together very well, however, tends to be annoying at times. I drive this car 300+ miles a day as a courier of my own buisness, and believe me, this car holds up very, very well. Even on the back roads of central Maine!

The mighty MBenz 190E
By Stefan on 01/26/07 21:12 PM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

Durable, reliable, with lots of power for its engine size. One of those "working mules" you never have to be scared of what costly maintenance and repair you are up to. Just drive!

Restart the Line! Bring it back!
By J3-Stick on 01/05/07 20:33 PM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since "amost new. 10K miles on it at purchase. It has been the most enjoyable vehicle I have ever owned. Reliable, handling like a dream, 13 years now and it still looks and handles like new. Now and then I get the urge to buy something new but I just can't part with it. A neighbor has its identical twin and says same about his.

Best of the Best
By MAB on 03/17/05 17:02 PM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for a short time, but through the worst of temperatures she has started up everytime and heats up quickly. She's heavy and just feels safe. I love this car - I feel so lucky that she is over 10 years old and everything is like new!

good car
By NikonF5 on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

this is a very fun car to drive. feels very solid, and when you need to it goes. excellent highway car. very good highway power. a little sluggish downshifting. very good upshifting when floored. handling very good, could use a anti sway bar. (around $75) very very good braking. bits hard when braking very hard. feels like your in control and safe. very smooth engine. not much power below 3k RPMs. but once you hit that point you get pined in your seat. and never goes below that point as long as your foot is down. goes up to redline to shift. so no delayed shifting.

A Great Small Car Alternative
By ctctall on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

A small car, about the size of a Carolla, but with the ride and amenities of a larger Mercedes Benz. You need to plan on spending around $500-$800 per year in the shop on routine replacements, tune ups, etc. but it is worth it for the ride and reliability the rest of the year. Not the greatest gas mileage, but again, the trade off is more than worth it when you find yourself cruising at 90 mph on the freeway without even noticing.

A great commuter or first car!
By makakio on 06/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for $17.5k w/ about 37k miles on it 5 years ago. It's now 10 years old and runs like a top. Technology is old-school, but it runs hard, it runs clean, it's safe and aside from annual maintenance (averaging $1300/yr at 13,000 miles for all services, replacements) it has cost me nothing.