Used 1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mercedes-benz 190-class - Consumer Reviews

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class

View reviews for a specific 190-Class model:

RELIABLE. AFFORDABLE. GREAT GAS MILEAGE TOO!
By verry

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

If you are seeking a reliable car, this would be a great choice. I always owned Cadillacs, Lincolns and others but this was my first Mercedes~Benz and I can't tell you how pleasing it is to drive daily in all weather conditions. Period! I am 369 lbs, 6'2" tall and a large man yet I have ample leg room, comfortable seating, ample engine power out of this amazing 4 cylinder engine. This car glides down back roads, freeways and darts around town. Parking is easy, gas mileage is about 20+ in town and a bit higher highway miles.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature(s) would be the driver's leg room. I'm amazed a car so 'small' can fit a man so large as me with leg room to spare. A second favorite feature would be the tight steering, good braking and without a doubt the way the car glides like a big, luxury car down the highway. I must admit that I rarely do maintenance to this car and yet it's performance doesn't change. It's like a tank and I'm not kidding!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are NOT present. A larger glove box would have been nice but it's sufficient. Leg room in back is surprisingly fine but not for someone over 6' tall. I would have enjoyed not having the locks operate on a vaccuum system, this failed a few times when the car is in hot summer sun. You have to cool the car down physically (shade) to unlock the doors. Cool water or simply wait till night time, then they open easily.

E-Bay Find
By Ryan

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

Just purchased a 93 190E 2.3 with 54K miles from e-bay sight unseen. Few minor problems like the central locking system, alarm, and the dash lights just went out. Other than that I love the car. It runs like a champ and cant complain for a 5G purchase. Body and paint is mint and the interior comes very close to the same. Plan on running it into the ground so it will probably outlast me.

Favorite Features

Looks (classic style), interior, best performance for a 4 banger, overall quaility for a entry level benz.

Suggested Improvements

More power, more weight in the trunk.

very reliable
By 190efan

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

when purchased it had lots of power, no rust and 296 000kms on it. i got it for 1000 cnd. dollars, it is now 2009 and it has 691000 kms on it and all i have done are guide seals, eha and i have yet to do rear power window regulators, but thats all !! keeps on producing power too, i'm wondering when this thing is gonna blow up and die, i'm starting to think it wont!

Favorite Features

handling,performance and an unstaleing contemporary look despite its mileage and age.

Suggested Improvements

Needs cup holders!!! how could mercedes have overlooked this superficial yet necessary feature in a near luxury sedan??

Bring It Back!
By duramater

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

Spending $1100-1800/year on maintenance/repairs (it is 16 years old, 132k miles)but well worth the expense. So solid, hugs the road like an Abrams tank. I'm getting ~24mpg on average in combined highway and gridlock, hot, southern city driving.I'm satisfied with that. Finally replaced the original radio (tape) w mp3/CD/satelite update and replaced the factory paint job, wow! Not a break anywhere in the interior, not a spot of rust on the body. I plan to drive another 130k miles then hand it down to my granddaughter.

Favorite Features

Classic exterior line. Excellent handling, feels solid & safe. Very, very reliable and very well engineered.

Suggested Improvements

Center console area redesign. Please, Mercedes, bring it back. Beats the C class hands down.

1st Time Mercedes Owner
By Michael G.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

Solid vehicle, runs like a charm. Had to replace the back window motor (very common according to Benz mechanics) If you're handy, go to a junkyard and save a ton of dough. I am the 3rd owner, and all maintanance is kept up. Only drawback is finding oil/lube places to carry an oil filter, call ahead and problem solved. Make sure you have the correct tire iron also, not all Benz tire irons will fit the 190e. We use it as our everyday car and love it!

Favorite Features

Solid feel. Thump of doors makes the car sound solid also. Stylish design never looks outdated. Most Benz owners take care of their vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Too late to complain about the power window motors, apparently Mercedes Benz has resolved that problem. Nothing to complain about a $35K luxury car that you can own nowadays for about $3K in great condition.