1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Consumer Review: Olden but a Gooden

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class - Consumer Review

190E 2.6 Sedan (2.6L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Olden but a Gooden
By ShiftyGerman on

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I got my 190E as a first car. It had been my mom's, who drove it a few times a week(just 80,439mi). Even though it is 12 years old now, soon to be 13, my friends are somewhere between jealous and amazed that I drive a Mercedes. I was challenged to a race by a friend in a near stock early 90s Honda Accord, but luckily I was able to win. Some people have said that the 2.6 doesn't have much power(158 hp), but when it is floored in 2nd gear at 40mph I can easily feel the acceleration in my face going up to about 65 or so. The gas mileage is terrible, the best I have gotten is 20mpg on the highway, but I average about 14 on the streets. It goes to the shop a lot, but when it is working it's great

Highway ride, Outward visibility, inconspicuous to police, RWD. I had a stereo and security system installed. The stereo is about 1200 watts(CEA-2006 rating if you care). New speakers, 2 Rockford Fosgate amps, 1 Kicker L7 12" sub, and an Alpine deck. It's(or was) on kicker.com if you are interested.

The steering wheel doesn't adjust so my knee always hits, even when my face can by seen through the rear side windows(I'm a lanky 5'9"). Steer column is too low, my foot(size 11.5) always hits it when moving from accelerator to brake. Rear legroom, there isn't any because I have to sit so far back.