1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Consumer Review: Family keeper

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan - Consumer Review

Family keeper
By OldRanger on

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

This has been an amazing baby Benz for my entire family. My mother originally purchased the car in 1991. I got it from her in 1994, gave it to my brother in 1997, then got it back in 2004. The car has received regular maintenance since new and unlike other Mercedes Benz vehicles our family has owned over the years this one has never required an exhorbitantly expensive repair (personally, my worst problems were with a C280 my wife once owned). I currently keep this car perfectly tuned and use it as my daily driver. I am gentle on the throttle and easily squeeze 24 to 27 MPG on a weekly basis to and from work. Bottom line, if you find a well maintained 190 and you like it, then buy it.

Small overall size and common-sense engineering features (especially the way the oil filter drains during an oil change). Braking and cornering ability is very good. Windshield wiper is extremely effective.

MB Tex interior has short life span. The material on most door panels shrinks and separates. Front/rear speaker fader switch is useless if you upgrade the stereo system. Cassette storage is absolutely pointless in this age of CDs and MP3s. U.S. spec headlights are too dim. Needs cup holders.