Used 1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 190-Class model:

My Favorite Car, No Joke
By Charlie

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

This car is fantastic! I love it. I bought this after having a Handa accord with a V6 and got amazing gas mileage, to this V4 with the typicall luxury car MPG. But this car doesn't dissapoint. Its handling it amazing, it has the smoothest quietist ride. I think it's quite attractive, and the interior is dreadfully comfortable.

Handling, comfort, sooth ride, great suspension, durabilty, reliablity.

Cup holders, replacement parts are through the roof!! But it's because it's made with great quality parts. But other than that nothing, I seriously love this car.

Starter Benz
By Loomco

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

Instead of buying one of the two makes of cars that I know to be reliable I decided to go the fun route. I got my 2.6 for a song since I leveraged the fact that I'd need to put some money into it right from the start. The car runs great and feels very solid. She needed a laundry list of things which I take care of a little at a time. Mileage is at 156,000 right now, and I expect her to run and run some more with regular oil changes and maintenance. The car is built to last and was loaded (by '92 standards). You couldn't even get close to buying a car this well made now - especially for the asking price.

Reaching over and closing either passenger side door while in the driver seat! Turning on a dime. The smooth and solid ride. My sun roof. Those kitschy cassette tape holders!

Gotta have my cupholder.

Family keeper
By OldRanger

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

This has been an amazing baby Benz for my entire family. My mother originally purchased the car in 1991. I got it from her in 1994, gave it to my brother in 1997, then got it back in 2004. The car has received regular maintenance since new and unlike other Mercedes Benz vehicles our family has owned over the years this one has never required an exhorbitantly expensive repair (personally, my worst problems were with a C280 my wife once owned). I currently keep this car perfectly tuned and use it as my daily driver. I am gentle on the throttle and easily squeeze 24 to 27 MPG on a weekly basis to and from work. Bottom line, if you find a well maintained 190 and you like it, then buy it.

Small overall size and common-sense engineering features (especially the way the oil filter drains during an oil change). Braking and cornering ability is very good. Windshield wiper is extremely effective.

MB Tex interior has short life span. The material on most door panels shrinks and separates. Front/rear speaker fader switch is useless if you upgrade the stereo system. Cassette storage is absolutely pointless in this age of CDs and MP3s. U.S. spec headlights are too dim. Needs cup holders.

One of the last real Mercedes
By W201

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

As Mercedes began to replace models through the '90's, cost-constraints turned the replacement models into mere mortal cars (or sub-mortal, judging the severely tarnished reputation for quality in recent years). The W201s (190 series) are among the last true Mercedes -- built to a money-is-no object standard. The car is constructed with a tremendous and obvious overcapacity; it performs flawlessly and, after more than a dozen years, is hardly distinguishable from new. Don't kid yourself that this quality means a 190 is a cheap ride. They're relatively inexpensive to buy, but the maintenance and occasional repairs are very costly. Don't think about skimping on maintenance either.

Build quality that will never exist again; solid feel; high quality materials. The complete disbelief of expressed by any passenger or driver that the car can be this old or have this many miles.

Essentially irrelevant on a car that went out of production more than a decade ago. For those who think the car is slow, try rowing the transmission manually. It's still not fast, but you'll be surprised how much more lively it becomes if you let the engine rev a bit higher.

Olden but a Gooden
By ShiftyGerman

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I got my 190E as a first car. It had been my mom's, who drove it a few times a week(just 80,439mi). Even though it is 12 years old now, soon to be 13, my friends are somewhere between jealous and amazed that I drive a Mercedes. I was challenged to a race by a friend in a near stock early 90s Honda Accord, but luckily I was able to win. Some people have said that the 2.6 doesn't have much power(158 hp), but when it is floored in 2nd gear at 40mph I can easily feel the acceleration in my face going up to about 65 or so. The gas mileage is terrible, the best I have gotten is 20mpg on the highway, but I average about 14 on the streets. It goes to the shop a lot, but when it is working it's great

Highway ride, Outward visibility, inconspicuous to police, RWD. I had a stereo and security system installed. The stereo is about 1200 watts(CEA-2006 rating if you care). New speakers, 2 Rockford Fosgate amps, 1 Kicker L7 12" sub, and an Alpine deck. It's(or was) on kicker.com if you are interested.

The steering wheel doesn't adjust so my knee always hits, even when my face can by seen through the rear side windows(I'm a lanky 5'9"). Steer column is too low, my foot(size 11.5) always hits it when moving from accelerator to brake. Rear legroom, there isn't any because I have to sit so far back.