1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 190-Class model:
Fun but beware
By Chewsuff on 06/25/09 00:33 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

Just got this car with 75k on it. Was sitting for 7.5yrs on non-op. Fixed the ASD light. Topped off the half tank of 5yr. old gas and passed smog no problem. Minor electrical issues with a loose ground on the back right tail light assembly. Also the switch that moves the pass. seat front/back has a dirty contact and is intermittent. Hate the stock anti-theft system. Don't like the vacuum operated door locks or heater box as anything vacuum operated is always prone to leaks. Just need a new fuel filter and to fix that switch on the pass. seat. Well balanced on power, handling and braking. The synchros on the manual gearbox are silky smooth and shifting is a breeze. Very quiet while driving.

The "Baby Benz" (190E)
By MercedesBenzAJK on 06/09/09 04:27 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 190E just recently, and with 185,000 km. on it, the car still drives almost like new... The 190 is 1 of the last of the true Benz's built in Germany, and it is quite a dependable little car... If you're looking for a 190E, then the 2.6 would be your best bet...

Starter Benz
By Loomco on 06/28/06 05:47 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

Instead of buying one of the two makes of cars that I know to be reliable I decided to go the fun route. I got my 2.6 for a song since I leveraged the fact that I'd need to put some money into it right from the start. The car runs great and feels very solid. She needed a laundry list of things which I take care of a little at a time. Mileage is at 156,000 right now, and I expect her to run and run some more with regular oil changes and maintenance. The car is built to last and was loaded (by '92 standards). You couldn't even get close to buying a car this well made now - especially for the asking price.

Family keeper
By OldRanger on 03/26/05 00:29 AM (PST)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

This has been an amazing baby Benz for my entire family. My mother originally purchased the car in 1991. I got it from her in 1994, gave it to my brother in 1997, then got it back in 2004. The car has received regular maintenance since new and unlike other Mercedes Benz vehicles our family has owned over the years this one has never required an exhorbitantly expensive repair (personally, my worst problems were with a C280 my wife once owned). I currently keep this car perfectly tuned and use it as my daily driver. I am gentle on the throttle and easily squeeze 24 to 27 MPG on a weekly basis to and from work. Bottom line, if you find a well maintained 190 and you like it, then buy it.

Olden but a Gooden
By ShiftyGerman on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I got my 190E as a first car. It had been my mom's, who drove it a few times a week(just 80,439mi). Even though it is 12 years old now, soon to be 13, my friends are somewhere between jealous and amazed that I drive a Mercedes. I was challenged to a race by a friend in a near stock early 90s Honda Accord, but luckily I was able to win. Some people have said that the 2.6 doesn't have much power(158 hp), but when it is floored in 2nd gear at 40mph I can easily feel the acceleration in my face going up to about 65 or so. The gas mileage is terrible, the best I have gotten is 20mpg on the highway, but I average about 14 on the streets. It goes to the shop a lot, but when it is working it's great

much ado about nothing
By ceprod on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle with the promise of a luxury drive and prestige. Sadly, neither was afforded me. The ride is average at best. The mileage was poor, I got 250 miles to a tank or about 19 mpg average. In a straight run to L.A. I only got 20 mpg. Having owned a BMW previous to this I expected comparable mileage and ride charactaristics but it failed. This vehicle has higher than average maintenance costs and the cost of oil changes doubles when you mention the name. Since money is not an object to me I felt I was buying a quality car with a great pedigree but found only an average car with no papers to speak of.

Great car
By BenzFan on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and had great time with it. 100 000 mile later runs great with very little problems.

great little benz
By memphisbenzowner on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from the original owner 2 years ago and it had less than 45k miles. Outside of some deferred maintenance and things that have to be repalced after 10 years (water pump amd fuel pump), I have been very please with the performance and reliability of this little tank.

i don't know
By xtbenz on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a second owner who put 90% of the miles that is has now on it. I wish I could give it a better score, hearing about the power the 2.6 engine has. I'm wondering, what power? There must be something wrong with mine because we did a compression test on it and the specs were below normal on all cylinders. It's so sluggish especially uphill and it feels like there's no power in the higher gears. I really like this car, but the cost to maintain it has turned me off.

190e 2.6 what agreat car
By swinford on 08/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

WHAT A GREAT CAR.I HAVE HAD ONLY MINOR PROBLEMS,MOST WERE FROM THE PROIR OWNER.CAR HANDLES AND DRIVES GREAT.VERY DEPENDABLE.