1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 190-Class model:
The Baby Benz
By ZombieGuy on 07/23/10 12:56 PM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

What a pleasure to drive. Easy to maintain. Affordable on a small budget. So comfortable, so peppy, good gas mileage, light yet solid door construction, supreme steering, turning and acceleration. Removable flooring for easy cleaning, ultra soft plush leather seats, first aid kit in rear window of every model car, affordable tires and so much more. Good single person or family car as long as kids are younger. Not much leg room in back. I'm 6'3" tall and I swear I'm serious when I say I can stretch my left leg out completely as the driver. Owned Cadillac and Lincoln my entire life and will only buy Mercedes from here out. Their design, craftsmanship and quality are simply amazingly smart!

Fun but beware
By Chewsuff on 06/25/09 00:33 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

Just got this car with 75k on it. Was sitting for 7.5yrs on non-op. Fixed the ASD light. Topped off the half tank of 5yr. old gas and passed smog no problem. Minor electrical issues with a loose ground on the back right tail light assembly. Also the switch that moves the pass. seat front/back has a dirty contact and is intermittent. Hate the stock anti-theft system. Don't like the vacuum operated door locks or heater box as anything vacuum operated is always prone to leaks. Just need a new fuel filter and to fix that switch on the pass. seat. Well balanced on power, handling and braking. The synchros on the manual gearbox are silky smooth and shifting is a breeze. Very quiet while driving.

tough baby
By rick on 06/10/09 13:07 PM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

Use my 190 everyday, bought this car very cheap. Have replaced master cylinder, alternator, belts, water pump, and fuel filter etc. Needs paint job and must fix a/c. Car was not well maintained by previous owner, but in spite of this the car is fun to drive. Not the quickest but can reach high speeds easily on freeways. Not bad for odometer reading two hundred and seventeen miles and counting.

The "Baby Benz" (190E)
By MercedesBenzAJK on 06/09/09 04:27 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 190E just recently, and with 185,000 km. on it, the car still drives almost like new... The 190 is 1 of the last of the true Benz's built in Germany, and it is quite a dependable little car... If you're looking for a 190E, then the 2.6 would be your best bet...

One That I Can Count On
By FamilyGuy on 12/04/08 18:49 PM (PST)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

I love this car. Quality Mercedes model year starts from the 80's into this early 90's model. Solid ride and beautiful handling like mentioned in many other owners. The other dissatisfied owners must remind themselves whether they just got a lack-of-maintenance one. How can you find something you hate about this car? It's worth every dollar I pay for to maintain properly. A properly taken care of car can go a long way (e.g. 200+ K to 300+K miles on this car is easily found). That's how one can count on.

My Favorite Car, No Joke
By Charlie on 10/20/08 17:24 PM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

This car is fantastic! I love it. I bought this after having a Handa accord with a V6 and got amazing gas mileage, to this V4 with the typicall luxury car MPG. But this car doesn't dissapoint. Its handling it amazing, it has the smoothest quietist ride. I think it's quite attractive, and the interior is dreadfully comfortable.

Starter Benz
By Loomco on 06/28/06 05:47 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

Instead of buying one of the two makes of cars that I know to be reliable I decided to go the fun route. I got my 2.6 for a song since I leveraged the fact that I'd need to put some money into it right from the start. The car runs great and feels very solid. She needed a laundry list of things which I take care of a little at a time. Mileage is at 156,000 right now, and I expect her to run and run some more with regular oil changes and maintenance. The car is built to last and was loaded (by '92 standards). You couldn't even get close to buying a car this well made now - especially for the asking price.

Family keeper
By OldRanger on 03/26/05 00:29 AM (PST)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

This has been an amazing baby Benz for my entire family. My mother originally purchased the car in 1991. I got it from her in 1994, gave it to my brother in 1997, then got it back in 2004. The car has received regular maintenance since new and unlike other Mercedes Benz vehicles our family has owned over the years this one has never required an exhorbitantly expensive repair (personally, my worst problems were with a C280 my wife once owned). I currently keep this car perfectly tuned and use it as my daily driver. I am gentle on the throttle and easily squeeze 24 to 27 MPG on a weekly basis to and from work. Bottom line, if you find a well maintained 190 and you like it, then buy it.

One of the last real Mercedes
By W201 on 02/17/05 00:58 AM (PST)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

As Mercedes began to replace models through the '90's, cost-constraints turned the replacement models into mere mortal cars (or sub-mortal, judging the severely tarnished reputation for quality in recent years). The W201s (190 series) are among the last true Mercedes -- built to a money-is-no object standard. The car is constructed with a tremendous and obvious overcapacity; it performs flawlessly and, after more than a dozen years, is hardly distinguishable from new. Don't kid yourself that this quality means a 190 is a cheap ride. They're relatively inexpensive to buy, but the maintenance and occasional repairs are very costly. Don't think about skimping on maintenance either.

Olden but a Gooden
By ShiftyGerman on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Sedan 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I got my 190E as a first car. It had been my mom's, who drove it a few times a week(just 80,439mi). Even though it is 12 years old now, soon to be 13, my friends are somewhere between jealous and amazed that I drive a Mercedes. I was challenged to a race by a friend in a near stock early 90s Honda Accord, but luckily I was able to win. Some people have said that the 2.6 doesn't have much power(158 hp), but when it is floored in 2nd gear at 40mph I can easily feel the acceleration in my face going up to about 65 or so. The gas mileage is terrible, the best I have gotten is 20mpg on the highway, but I average about 14 on the streets. It goes to the shop a lot, but when it is working it's great