Used 1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 190-Class model:

Fun but beware
By Chewsuff

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

Just got this car with 75k on it. Was sitting for 7.5yrs on non-op. Fixed the ASD light. Topped off the half tank of 5yr. old gas and passed smog no problem. Minor electrical issues with a loose ground on the back right tail light assembly. Also the switch that moves the pass. seat front/back has a dirty contact and is intermittent. Hate the stock anti-theft system. Don't like the vacuum operated door locks or heater box as anything vacuum operated is always prone to leaks. Just need a new fuel filter and to fix that switch on the pass. seat. Well balanced on power, handling and braking. The synchros on the manual gearbox are silky smooth and shifting is a breeze. Very quiet while driving.

Favorite Features

Seat Warmers. Dislike the sun roof as the sun can turn a white guy like me into a pink guy real quick in Sunny southern CA. I especially like the stickers from the dealership on the back windows about how the radio won't work if its ripped out/stolen. Who wants a tape player/FM stereo anyways?

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders obviously. There are vacuum lines EVERYWHERE on this car. If you aren't getting at least 300 miles on a tank of gas or you lack power you might have a vacuum leak. The lines are plastic/rubber and both can become petrified and crack from the heating/cooling cycle under the hood.

The "Baby Benz" (190E)
By MercedesBenzAJK

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 190E just recently, and with 185,000 km. on it, the car still drives almost like new... The 190 is 1 of the last of the true Benz's built in Germany, and it is quite a dependable little car... If you're looking for a 190E, then the 2.6 would be your best bet...

Favorite Features

Solid performance, power adjustable headrests, the 6 cassette storage is also quite interesting...

Suggested Improvements

Needs cupholders between the driver & passenger seats...

Starter Benz
By Loomco

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

Instead of buying one of the two makes of cars that I know to be reliable I decided to go the fun route. I got my 2.6 for a song since I leveraged the fact that I'd need to put some money into it right from the start. The car runs great and feels very solid. She needed a laundry list of things which I take care of a little at a time. Mileage is at 156,000 right now, and I expect her to run and run some more with regular oil changes and maintenance. The car is built to last and was loaded (by '92 standards). You couldn't even get close to buying a car this well made now - especially for the asking price.

Favorite Features

Reaching over and closing either passenger side door while in the driver seat! Turning on a dime. The smooth and solid ride. My sun roof. Those kitschy cassette tape holders!

Suggested Improvements

Gotta have my cupholder.

Family keeper
By OldRanger

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

This has been an amazing baby Benz for my entire family. My mother originally purchased the car in 1991. I got it from her in 1994, gave it to my brother in 1997, then got it back in 2004. The car has received regular maintenance since new and unlike other Mercedes Benz vehicles our family has owned over the years this one has never required an exhorbitantly expensive repair (personally, my worst problems were with a C280 my wife once owned). I currently keep this car perfectly tuned and use it as my daily driver. I am gentle on the throttle and easily squeeze 24 to 27 MPG on a weekly basis to and from work. Bottom line, if you find a well maintained 190 and you like it, then buy it.

Favorite Features

Small overall size and common-sense engineering features (especially the way the oil filter drains during an oil change). Braking and cornering ability is very good. Windshield wiper is extremely effective.

Suggested Improvements

MB Tex interior has short life span. The material on most door panels shrinks and separates. Front/rear speaker fader switch is useless if you upgrade the stereo system. Cassette storage is absolutely pointless in this age of CDs and MP3s. U.S. spec headlights are too dim. Needs cup holders.

Olden but a Gooden
By ShiftyGerman

1992 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I got my 190E as a first car. It had been my mom's, who drove it a few times a week(just 80,439mi). Even though it is 12 years old now, soon to be 13, my friends are somewhere between jealous and amazed that I drive a Mercedes. I was challenged to a race by a friend in a near stock early 90s Honda Accord, but luckily I was able to win. Some people have said that the 2.6 doesn't have much power(158 hp), but when it is floored in 2nd gear at 40mph I can easily feel the acceleration in my face going up to about 65 or so. The gas mileage is terrible, the best I have gotten is 20mpg on the highway, but I average about 14 on the streets. It goes to the shop a lot, but when it is working it's great

Favorite Features

Highway ride, Outward visibility, inconspicuous to police, RWD. I had a stereo and security system installed. The stereo is about 1200 watts(CEA-2006 rating if you care). New speakers, 2 Rockford Fosgate amps, 1 Kicker L7 12" sub, and an Alpine deck. It's(or was) on kicker.com if you are interested.

Suggested Improvements

The steering wheel doesn't adjust so my knee always hits, even when my face can by seen through the rear side windows(I'm a lanky 5'9"). Steer column is too low, my foot(size 11.5) always hits it when moving from accelerator to brake. Rear legroom, there isn't any because I have to sit so far back.