Used 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 190-Class model:

Nervous new owner of High mileage Benz
By bizylady

1991 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I Just bought 190E, 2.6 yesterday (used lot), dealer sold me car but did not point out what's wrong with car. I love the handling and comfort features of the car but I am worried about the mileage on car(171K). I also found out that it is costly ($400.00) to fix the door lock which will not lock. The reviews from others here, helped me to relax about the mileage and made me feel like part of the Benz family because I do have oil leaks and yellowed headlight glass! Thank you all for your input and reviews. I have never owned a Mercedes and I look forward to enjoying the car with peace of mind about what is the norm for this model and make of car and also in knowing that I can come here for info

Favorite Features

Moon roof, power seats, the get up and go when accelerating

Suggested Improvements

MPG, better paint protectant coating to avoid the faded sun damaged surface. Better quality head lamps to prevent yellowing.

one fine piece of metal
By alpha

1991 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

My 190e has 242,000 miles on it. Runs like new. Very smooth ride, good acceleration even though it is a 4 cyl 2.3l. Fun to drive. I just love it. I owned Honda, BMW and Ford but I have to say that the 190e left them all behind. Just needs regular maintenance with quality parts and it will last you a life time. The only problem I faced lately was overheating because of a bad fan clutch and that was a cheap job and never overheated again. I will definitely keep this car regardless of mileage.

Favorite Features

solid ,fun to drive.quality interior

Suggested Improvements

roomier interior

The day I fell in love
By Jarvis

1991 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I brought this car from an older couple and I have fallen in love with the car. It drives so smooth and it really can get in and out of traffic perfect. I would not trade this car in for anything.

Favorite Features

The performance, handling, and style of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG. Brakes are too tight when roads are wet

Stole my heart!
By jloriga

1991 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.3 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle with 174,000 miles. I have to admit the fact that it was a 5-speed (super rare), I was somewhat willing to accept all the risks that come with a high mileage car. But I have to say after 3K miles later, I've never been so love with a car before. Sure, it could be the upgraded suspension (H&R springs and Bilstien Sport shocks), not to mention the factory Mercedes CLK wheels the previous owner added. It's just been a pleasure to drive. No, it does not have a 0-60 mind blowing time. But at higher speeds it will surprise you how capable she is. Just the combination of luxury, fuel economy, and spunk the 5speed tranny bring - very, very satisfied.

Favorite Features

5-speed transmission. I love how driving around town you could easily mistaken the car for timid, but on the freeway at higher speeds, she will simply squat and take off!

Suggested Improvements

Some torque would be nice.

Solid and Reliable
By kennydva

1991 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I can't believe my car runs over 180K Miles since it is very solid and reliable. Parts are readily available many places including web-sites. Small negative is the oil leakage. It seems most of the car in the same style have the same problem. Still it has excellent value for the price.

Favorite Features

- Solid chasis - Reliable engine - Parts availability

Suggested Improvements

- Engine oile leakage