1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class Consumer Review: All-Around Better Than You'd E

1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class - Consumer Review

190E 2.6 Sedan (2.6L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

All-Around Better Than You'd Expect
By Rick Ambrose on

1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

The car is actually a 1987 190e 2.6 with power seat/headrests and ABS. I have driven this car 3000 miles since purchase and I have to say that of all 40 cars I've ever owned - this Baby Benz gets the award for best all-around automobile. It's comfortable, quiet, economical on the gas, roomy and has tons of trunk space. The 170hp engine never fails to surprise!. The car simply does everything better than you would expect. At 23 years old, it feels and drives like it's brand new - a testament to the build quality of Mercedes Benz.

Favorite Features

The electric headrests without a doubt. Second would be the enormous trunk - its like having an SUV; the trunk will fit TWELVE of those plastic -wrapped splits of firewood; probably 8 bags of golf clubs!

Suggested Improvements

None. In fact - here's a case where they got it right the first time. Though boxy looking by today's standards, it has adopted an almost adorable presence. It drives and feels like a bank vault 23 years later.
By skpai
on 03/15/11 12:17 PM (PDT)

My 1990 190E 2.6 has been showing quirks like check eng light, hard to start, etc but otherwise at 148,000 miles it looks like new. I wash and wax it with more care than most, and the result pays off. I have been offered $9,000 for it but I am keeping this baby.