Used 1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class - Consumer Reviews

190E 2.6 2.6L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (8 reviews )

All-Around Better Than You'd Expect
By Rick Ambrose

1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

The car is actually a 1987 190e 2.6 with power seat/headrests and ABS. I have driven this car 3000 miles since purchase and I have to say that of all 40 cars I've ever owned - this Baby Benz gets the award for best all-around automobile. It's comfortable, quiet, economical on the gas, roomy and has tons of trunk space. The 170hp engine never fails to surprise!. The car simply does everything better than you would expect. At 23 years old, it feels and drives like it's brand new - a testament to the build quality of Mercedes Benz.

The electric headrests without a doubt. Second would be the enormous trunk - its like having an SUV; the trunk will fit TWELVE of those plastic -wrapped splits of firewood; probably 8 bags of golf clubs!

None. In fact - here's a case where they got it right the first time. Though boxy looking by today's standards, it has adopted an almost adorable presence. It drives and feels like a bank vault 23 years later.

My 190 is Hot
By Bolingo!

1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

I have used my baby for about 3 years now. I must confess, I've never driven a Mercedes better than this one. Starts in the mornings very well, fuel economy is fantastic. Transmission is so smooth (soft clutching system) Suspension is very tough, never changed my shock absorbers. I've not fixed anything in the engine so far. No kick or alternator problems. It's just the perfect ride. I'll recommend it to anyone who cares to know.

Its body size is cute and easy to maneuver.

Top o' The Line
By ChrisK

1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

This is my first car, after driving trying many cars, even a couple years old Mercede's, and of course the American cars (all worthless cars), the 190E was the one for me, fits me perfectly, gets me from point A to point B in style and unbelievably fast, a lot of critics claimed this car was under-powered, I strongly disagree, this car is old, but still in style and looks new after all these years.

Enormonous steering radius Small, yet big enough to hold 5 people This car MOVES, top speed over acceleration though.

Acceleration is fine, but could be better, maybe weight reduction. Little tight on fuel economy, wouldn't seem so bad but it runs on premium, no complaints though.

Wonderful little car
By StanQ

1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

When a relative (the proverbial little old lady) gave us this car last year, it had 15,000 miles on it. Now it has 25,000 and is still in flawless condition. It is the perfect size for a small family sedan, but not big enough for long trips with more than 2 people. I would have thought the gas mileage would be a little better. 20 mpg is all she gets, and premium fuel is required. Edmunds tells me the trade-in value of this car is $3,500! If I could find 10 of these cars, with 25,000 miles or less, in cherry condition I would buy them all.

Motorized front seat adjustments.

190e 2.6 1990 review
By crubio

1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.6 4dr Sedan

this 190e 2.6 is a fun little car to drive, it's a pleasure getting into it every morning and just taking off whether going to work or somewhere, it's fun little sporty car. people looking for a fun luxurious feeling sedan but don't wish to lose the sport aspect, this is a winner.

tight steering, good turning radius, smooth ride.

more engine room to work with, very tight with 2.6 6 cylinder engine. head gasket valve cover needs replacing every 2-3 years, when oil starts leaking on top of the crank case. 2-3 gear shift delay (mercedes default) for warming up transmission.