Used 2002 Mazda Truck B3000 Dual Sport Cab Plus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Truck - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus

View reviews for a specific Truck model:

Takes a lickin' Keeps on tickin'
By Ryan

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good truck for all around use. The fuel economy is average for around town, but is good on the long trips. I have not had a single mechanical problem. The truck is strong enough to pull my boat to the lake and tough enough to handle me taking it out in the Mojave Desert to have some fun exploring. I have only made a couple of changes to the truck to accommodate my uses. I installed slotted and drilled rotors for heat reduction while towing, and an air- fuel programmer to dial in the exact power or fuel economy I need. I put on some 31 x 10.5 R15 mud tires to keep it moving in the sand, mud and snow.

Favorite Features

Love the 4:10.1 stock gear ratio, 5 speed automatic tranny, the larger wheel wells can handle a 31x10.50R15 wheel, and the higher tortion bar suspension in the front is really durable.

Suggested Improvements

Would like rear disc brakes, a 3rd door, more fuel tank volume, and maybe a Limited slip differential.

Best of Times, Worst of Times
By Bob Bennett

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The interior is comfortable and we have taken many long trips in this truck. It's handy for around town, trips to the builder supply store, and the antique shop. It's my work car, and has been reliable so far. All these are offset however by the poor performance and abominable gas mileage: about 13 mpg all the time. My previous car was a full-sized sedan that got 10. Some improvement. The transmission has to work hard all the time and the truck barely keeps up with Bay Area traffic. I had wanted the four-cylinder, 5-speed model, but let myself get flimflammed into this model. It's my fault, but I would never buy this truck, or shop at that dealership again.

Favorite Features

Interior room, seats. Ride is generally good, for a truck.

Suggested Improvements

The 3.0 litre engine is a pushrod unit from the sixties. How about a MODERN engine. Also, area behind rear seats is very hard to access.

Bad Transmission
By Jerry

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck used with 2600 miles. Automatic transmission started slipping at 30,000 miles. Had to replace at 35,000 miles. Poor gas mileage for a small truck, 17 - 18 mpg. Interior trim quality is sub par. Plastic dash trim is peeling. No doors on the extended cab make the area behind the seats hard to access.

Favorite Features

Nice styling. Good handling. Great A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Better auto transmission. More horsepower and better fuel economy. 4 doors for the extended cab. Rear window defogger.

Good Buy for the money
By mutbreath

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this as an extra car for running errands and doing the "honeydos". Great truck for the money. It looks great and rides fine. I like the extended cab for safe storage & the extra seating for my kids.

Favorite Features

Strong engine. Cab has plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

4 doors were not avail from Mazda,but were on the Ford? Should have been available on the B3000; same company.

good truck
By johnboy

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this used with little mileage on it. Got a great deal. So far, so good. It runs smooth and the mpg is acceptable. AC is great. I live where it gets very hot, so that is important. For the price, it's great.

Favorite Features

I appreciate having the bedliner and fog lights. Looks nice. Runs great.

Suggested Improvements

need nerf bars... need a liner that covers the edge of the bed... the bumper "rubber" is the same color as the rest of the bumper, and it looks kind of dumb