2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Truck model:
Is it the truck or the N. E. weather?
By Pleiadian7 on 09/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 4WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mazda/Ford's truck design is OBSOLETE. I bought this 2002 because I'd had 2 Mazdas previously and they were pretty decent. THIS one had a clutch master cyl. go bad as soon as I got it. Access to the rear cab space is poor. The engine is so detuned as to be ball- less. However, the worst problem is the severe undercarriage corrosion which has destroyed the brakes/brake lines and has caused me to need to buy a new truck. New England winters and road chemicals are tough but I think the degree of damage is still pretty serious. No more Mazdas for me. I bought a Nissan.

Takes a lickin' Keeps on tickin'
By Ryan on 01/12/10 15:29 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good truck for all around use. The fuel economy is average for around town, but is good on the long trips. I have not had a single mechanical problem. The truck is strong enough to pull my boat to the lake and tough enough to handle me taking it out in the Mojave Desert to have some fun exploring. I have only made a couple of changes to the truck to accommodate my uses. I installed slotted and drilled rotors for heat reduction while towing, and an air- fuel programmer to dial in the exact power or fuel economy I need. I put on some 31 x 10.5 R15 mud tires to keep it moving in the sand, mud and snow.

Best of Times, Worst of Times
By Bob Bennett on 08/01/06 16:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The interior is comfortable and we have taken many long trips in this truck. It's handy for around town, trips to the builder supply store, and the antique shop. It's my work car, and has been reliable so far. All these are offset however by the poor performance and abominable gas mileage: about 13 mpg all the time. My previous car was a full-sized sedan that got 10. Some improvement. The transmission has to work hard all the time and the truck barely keeps up with Bay Area traffic. I had wanted the four-cylinder, 5-speed model, but let myself get flimflammed into this model. It's my fault, but I would never buy this truck, or shop at that dealership again.

Good Truck without Personality
By Bill on 04/26/06 18:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 4dr Cab Plus B4000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck new, trading in a 2000 GMC Sierra. I got a lot of truck for the money. The truck has been reliable except for odometer failure (warranty) and EGR flow sensor. The 4.0L engine and 5-speed auto transmission are a fine drivetrain. The main problem is that this truck just has no personality to distinguish it from the crowd. The tin-can sound of the doors closing doesn't help. I recently installed a Magnaflow catback exhaust which has given the truck a distinctive sound.

Bad Transmission
By Jerry on 02/17/06 11:05 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck used with 2600 miles. Automatic transmission started slipping at 30,000 miles. Had to replace at 35,000 miles. Poor gas mileage for a small truck, 17 - 18 mpg. Interior trim quality is sub par. Plastic dash trim is peeling. No doors on the extended cab make the area behind the seats hard to access.

good truck
By kickwheel on 11/10/05 13:21 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 4dr Cab Plus B4000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Looked at Toyota, Ford and others. Decided on the Mazda because of the 0% for 5 yrs. I really enjoy this truck. Have driven it in all types of weather and it has performed well.

Good Buy for the money
By mutbreath on 04/18/05 10:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this as an extra car for running errands and doing the "honeydos". Great truck for the money. It looks great and rides fine. I like the extended cab for safe storage & the extra seating for my kids.

good truck
By johnboy on 09/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this used with little mileage on it. Got a great deal. So far, so good. It runs smooth and the mpg is acceptable. AC is great. I live where it gets very hot, so that is important. For the price, it's great.

My little red Truck
By dearlaurie on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a great truck for me. I am a single mom, and own a small farm, so I need the convenience along with the great style and comfort.

Do not buy PLEASE
By fxdl1000 on 12/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

At 35000 miles it was getting sloppy. The rear end was making a klunking sound. Ingram park Mazda said the parts were back ordered and would take months to get. I called mazda factory and they called Ingram park mazda. The end result was Ingram park had screwed up. But still the part was months in comming. They said. I am stuck with a truck I am paying for with a serious defect and not parts!!!! My recomendation is to not buy Mazda trucks.