Used 2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Truck - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Truck model:

Is it the truck or the N. E. weather?
By Pleiadian7

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 4WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mazda/Ford's truck design is OBSOLETE. I bought this 2002 because I'd had 2 Mazdas previously and they were pretty decent. THIS one had a clutch master cyl. go bad as soon as I got it. Access to the rear cab space is poor. The engine is so detuned as to be ball- less. However, the worst problem is the severe undercarriage corrosion which has destroyed the brakes/brake lines and has caused me to need to buy a new truck. New England winters and road chemicals are tough but I think the degree of damage is still pretty serious. No more Mazdas for me. I bought a Nissan.

Favorite Features

I always like the truck's looks, so I guess aesthetics would be my favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

Get an engine with some power, get some corrosion resistance for the undercarriage, redesign and update this dinosaur.

Takes a lickin' Keeps on tickin'
By Ryan

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good truck for all around use. The fuel economy is average for around town, but is good on the long trips. I have not had a single mechanical problem. The truck is strong enough to pull my boat to the lake and tough enough to handle me taking it out in the Mojave Desert to have some fun exploring. I have only made a couple of changes to the truck to accommodate my uses. I installed slotted and drilled rotors for heat reduction while towing, and an air- fuel programmer to dial in the exact power or fuel economy I need. I put on some 31 x 10.5 R15 mud tires to keep it moving in the sand, mud and snow.

Favorite Features

Love the 4:10.1 stock gear ratio, 5 speed automatic tranny, the larger wheel wells can handle a 31x10.50R15 wheel, and the higher tortion bar suspension in the front is really durable.

Suggested Improvements

Would like rear disc brakes, a 3rd door, more fuel tank volume, and maybe a Limited slip differential.

Best of Times, Worst of Times
By Bob Bennett

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The interior is comfortable and we have taken many long trips in this truck. It's handy for around town, trips to the builder supply store, and the antique shop. It's my work car, and has been reliable so far. All these are offset however by the poor performance and abominable gas mileage: about 13 mpg all the time. My previous car was a full-sized sedan that got 10. Some improvement. The transmission has to work hard all the time and the truck barely keeps up with Bay Area traffic. I had wanted the four-cylinder, 5-speed model, but let myself get flimflammed into this model. It's my fault, but I would never buy this truck, or shop at that dealership again.

Favorite Features

Interior room, seats. Ride is generally good, for a truck.

Suggested Improvements

The 3.0 litre engine is a pushrod unit from the sixties. How about a MODERN engine. Also, area behind rear seats is very hard to access.

Good Truck without Personality
By Bill

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 4dr Cab Plus B4000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck new, trading in a 2000 GMC Sierra. I got a lot of truck for the money. The truck has been reliable except for odometer failure (warranty) and EGR flow sensor. The 4.0L engine and 5-speed auto transmission are a fine drivetrain. The main problem is that this truck just has no personality to distinguish it from the crowd. The tin-can sound of the doors closing doesn't help. I recently installed a Magnaflow catback exhaust which has given the truck a distinctive sound.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration in lower gears. Smooth transmission. 18/22 MPG city/highway since adding K&N air filter and Magnaflow exhaust. Tows trailer well.

Suggested Improvements

Make the doors sound like they are attached to a solid body. More aggressive looking wheels. A real oil pressure gauge.

Bad Transmission
By Jerry

2002 Mazda Truck Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck used with 2600 miles. Automatic transmission started slipping at 30,000 miles. Had to replace at 35,000 miles. Poor gas mileage for a small truck, 17 - 18 mpg. Interior trim quality is sub par. Plastic dash trim is peeling. No doors on the extended cab make the area behind the seats hard to access.

Favorite Features

Nice styling. Good handling. Great A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Better auto transmission. More horsepower and better fuel economy. 4 doors for the extended cab. Rear window defogger.