2002 Mazda Truck - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Truck model:
Is it the truck or the N. E. weather?
By Pleiadian7 on 09/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Cab Plus B3000 4WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mazda/Ford's truck design is OBSOLETE. I bought this 2002 because I'd had 2 Mazdas previously and they were pretty decent. THIS one had a clutch master cyl. go bad as soon as I got it. Access to the rear cab space is poor. The engine is so detuned as to be ball- less. However, the worst problem is the severe undercarriage corrosion which has destroyed the brakes/brake lines and has caused me to need to buy a new truck. New England winters and road chemicals are tough but I think the degree of damage is still pretty serious. No more Mazdas for me. I bought a Nissan.

Takes a lickin' Keeps on tickin'
By Ryan on 01/12/10 15:29 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good truck for all around use. The fuel economy is average for around town, but is good on the long trips. I have not had a single mechanical problem. The truck is strong enough to pull my boat to the lake and tough enough to handle me taking it out in the Mojave Desert to have some fun exploring. I have only made a couple of changes to the truck to accommodate my uses. I installed slotted and drilled rotors for heat reduction while towing, and an air- fuel programmer to dial in the exact power or fuel economy I need. I put on some 31 x 10.5 R15 mud tires to keep it moving in the sand, mud and snow.

Great little machine
By B2300 on 11/18/08 18:33 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Regular Cab B2300 2WD SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

One of the best vehicle buys I have ever made. Great mileage (28-33). No problems so far. Inside door handles have come somewhat loose and sometimes rattle. Mazda makes a great vehicle.

Best truck I own
By C. Clay-Van FArm on 08/05/08 10:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Regular Cab B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is a very reliable truck it has a good suspension for hauling trailers around the farm it handles very well at highway speeds and the only thing I would do to it is to add a larger rear end in it so that the motor doesn't have to strain so much when we are pulling hay wagons out of the fields and this has a very good leaf springs in it because we have hauled a 1500 lb. Safe home from 100 miles away and it didn't break anything

Nice Little Truck
By Anthony on 04/02/07 16:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Regular Cab B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it brand new and I have never had a problem. I get about 19 mpg in mixed driving. I have about 65K on original tires. One set of brakes and oil changes every 5K. Not the fastest vehicle, but it will drop a boat in the lake easily with the raised suspension.

Best of Times, Worst of Times
By Bob Bennett on 08/01/06 16:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The interior is comfortable and we have taken many long trips in this truck. It's handy for around town, trips to the builder supply store, and the antique shop. It's my work car, and has been reliable so far. All these are offset however by the poor performance and abominable gas mileage: about 13 mpg all the time. My previous car was a full-sized sedan that got 10. Some improvement. The transmission has to work hard all the time and the truck barely keeps up with Bay Area traffic. I had wanted the four-cylinder, 5-speed model, but let myself get flimflammed into this model. It's my fault, but I would never buy this truck, or shop at that dealership again.

Good Truck without Personality
By Bill on 04/26/06 18:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck 4dr Cab Plus B4000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck new, trading in a 2000 GMC Sierra. I got a lot of truck for the money. The truck has been reliable except for odometer failure (warranty) and EGR flow sensor. The 4.0L engine and 5-speed auto transmission are a fine drivetrain. The main problem is that this truck just has no personality to distinguish it from the crowd. The tin-can sound of the doors closing doesn't help. I recently installed a Magnaflow catback exhaust which has given the truck a distinctive sound.

Bad Transmission
By Jerry on 02/17/06 11:05 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck used with 2600 miles. Automatic transmission started slipping at 30,000 miles. Had to replace at 35,000 miles. Poor gas mileage for a small truck, 17 - 18 mpg. Interior trim quality is sub par. Plastic dash trim is peeling. No doors on the extended cab make the area behind the seats hard to access.

good truck
By kickwheel on 11/10/05 13:21 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Truck 4dr Cab Plus B4000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Looked at Toyota, Ford and others. Decided on the Mazda because of the 0% for 5 yrs. I really enjoy this truck. Have driven it in all types of weather and it has performed well.

Good Buy for the money
By mutbreath on 04/18/05 10:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this as an extra car for running errands and doing the "honeydos". Great truck for the money. It looks great and rides fine. I like the extended cab for safe storage & the extra seating for my kids.