Used 2002 Mazda Truck Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Truck - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Truck

View reviews for a specific Truck model:

Is it the truck or the N. E. weather?
By Pleiadian7

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Cab Plus B3000 4WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mazda/Ford's truck design is OBSOLETE. I bought this 2002 because I'd had 2 Mazdas previously and they were pretty decent. THIS one had a clutch master cyl. go bad as soon as I got it. Access to the rear cab space is poor. The engine is so detuned as to be ball- less. However, the worst problem is the severe undercarriage corrosion which has destroyed the brakes/brake lines and has caused me to need to buy a new truck. New England winters and road chemicals are tough but I think the degree of damage is still pretty serious. No more Mazdas for me. I bought a Nissan.

Favorite Features

I always like the truck's looks, so I guess aesthetics would be my favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

Get an engine with some power, get some corrosion resistance for the undercarriage, redesign and update this dinosaur.

Takes a lickin' Keeps on tickin'
By Ryan

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good truck for all around use. The fuel economy is average for around town, but is good on the long trips. I have not had a single mechanical problem. The truck is strong enough to pull my boat to the lake and tough enough to handle me taking it out in the Mojave Desert to have some fun exploring. I have only made a couple of changes to the truck to accommodate my uses. I installed slotted and drilled rotors for heat reduction while towing, and an air- fuel programmer to dial in the exact power or fuel economy I need. I put on some 31 x 10.5 R15 mud tires to keep it moving in the sand, mud and snow.

Favorite Features

Love the 4:10.1 stock gear ratio, 5 speed automatic tranny, the larger wheel wells can handle a 31x10.50R15 wheel, and the higher tortion bar suspension in the front is really durable.

Suggested Improvements

Would like rear disc brakes, a 3rd door, more fuel tank volume, and maybe a Limited slip differential.

Great little machine
By B2300

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Regular Cab B2300 2WD SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

One of the best vehicle buys I have ever made. Great mileage (28-33). No problems so far. Inside door handles have come somewhat loose and sometimes rattle. Mazda makes a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

Mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Improved seatbelt?

Best truck I own
By C. Clay-Van FArm

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Regular Cab B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is a very reliable truck it has a good suspension for hauling trailers around the farm it handles very well at highway speeds and the only thing I would do to it is to add a larger rear end in it so that the motor doesn't have to strain so much when we are pulling hay wagons out of the fields and this has a very good leaf springs in it because we have hauled a 1500 lb. Safe home from 100 miles away and it didn't break anything

Favorite Features

The truck has a really high stance compared to the regular Ford ranger. It allows for more ground clearance so it can follow my 1984 F250 anywhere around the farm and it can do anything we need it to. It is driven everyday and has plenty of speed if you need to go somewhere fast.

Suggested Improvements

Larger rear end gearing and a 5.0 motor and dual fuel tanks

Nice Little Truck
By Anthony

2002 Mazda Truck 2dr Regular Cab B3000 Dual Sport 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it brand new and I have never had a problem. I get about 19 mpg in mixed driving. I have about 65K on original tires. One set of brakes and oil changes every 5K. Not the fastest vehicle, but it will drop a boat in the lake easily with the raised suspension.

Favorite Features

The looks and reliability. It looks sharp and I have never had a problem.

Suggested Improvements

It rides like a truck (but that's what it is).