Brake Failure for No Reason at 28K Miles
By electricstar on
2009 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
We own a 2009 Tribute, and thought it was a really good car, until yesterday, 3.5 years after we bought it. I was out with my kids, the car went "ping--." A red light indicates "brake." I thought my parking brake was on, but it wasn't. The display says "check brake system." I tried to brake, there was no traction. The car kept going. I stepped on the brake all the way, still no traction. I managed to roll the car back to our house. I called Madzda and Mazda refuses to take responsilities and wants me to pay for checkup just because the car is "out of warranty." If we got killed yesterday, who'd pay for the checkup? Mazda refused to allow us to speak with management.
Favorite Features
It doesn't matter how good the car was before. If you get that kind of random failure, even just once, I bet you've had enough. We could easily have gotten killed with the brake not working at all--had we been out on the freeway. We only had 28K miles on it and maintenance had been regular. Looks like Mazda's policy is--if you are out of warranty, you are free to die on your own. I tried to argue with Mazda's customer service, the rep said they couldn't take responsibility because there was no accident and we did not choose extended warranty when we purchased the car. I feel they would prefer that we got into an accident and got killed. Can extended warranty save lives?
Suggested Improvements
Mazda would have been happier if we got killed because no one would ask them to take responsibility. The custer service rep kept telling me she couldn't do anything and hang up on me. We got the same answer all three times we called. Warranty, no matter how elaborate it is, cannot save lives. We want to have nothing to do with that car, ever gain, which is now at the dealer's. Mazda would just tell us it's now fixed and OK. How could you ever trust such a car if it the brake fails like that? I need to protect my family. We all need to protect our family.