Used 2009 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2009 Mazda Tribute

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Brake Failure for No Reason at 28K Miles
By electricstar

2009 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We own a 2009 Tribute, and thought it was a really good car, until yesterday, 3.5 years after we bought it. I was out with my kids, the car went "ping--." A red light indicates "brake." I thought my parking brake was on, but it wasn't. The display says "check brake system." I tried to brake, there was no traction. The car kept going. I stepped on the brake all the way, still no traction. I managed to roll the car back to our house. I called Madzda and Mazda refuses to take responsilities and wants me to pay for checkup just because the car is "out of warranty." If we got killed yesterday, who'd pay for the checkup? Mazda refused to allow us to speak with management.

Favorite Features

It doesn't matter how good the car was before. If you get that kind of random failure, even just once, I bet you've had enough. We could easily have gotten killed with the brake not working at all--had we been out on the freeway. We only had 28K miles on it and maintenance had been regular. Looks like Mazda's policy is--if you are out of warranty, you are free to die on your own. I tried to argue with Mazda's customer service, the rep said they couldn't take responsibility because there was no accident and we did not choose extended warranty when we purchased the car. I feel they would prefer that we got into an accident and got killed. Can extended warranty save lives?

Suggested Improvements

Mazda would have been happier if we got killed because no one would ask them to take responsibility. The custer service rep kept telling me she couldn't do anything and hang up on me. We got the same answer all three times we called. Warranty, no matter how elaborate it is, cannot save lives. We want to have nothing to do with that car, ever gain, which is now at the dealer's. Mazda would just tell us it's now fixed and OK. How could you ever trust such a car if it the brake fails like that? I need to protect my family. We all need to protect our family.

fun while it lasted.
By black_widow

2009 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Tribute with 7300 miles on it and I loved it. I traded it in with 35500 miles on it because the transmission had gotten really sluggish over the last 15000 and I was having problems with the breakes. It had been in the shop 5 times within the last 6 months and they still squeaked loudly. As far as the transmission I've read numorous reviews on the tribute/escape/mariner regarding the transmission issue and consumers needing new ones so i traded mine before it could give me problems. I loved the layout and the look of the vehicle. the 12v outlet in the back came out of its compartment and the one up front was loose. I got about 22-25 mpg city and 26-28 hwy.

Favorite Features

6 disc cd player, ipod jack

Suggested Improvements

quality of parts interior and under the hood.

Tribute on tough road
By nehemiah1

2009 Mazda Tribute i Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Tribute in June 2009 at Puerto Rico where drive conditions are rude and rush. So far my Tribute have 47000 miles and I just had to change the CV shaft, both of them. I drive an average of 50 miles daily and fuel usage is good, a fuel tank last almost 6 days. Music system is great and interiors are really cool. Safety systems on the Tribute are reliable.

Does the job
By Hugo Chalifour

2009 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have this SUV for more than a year now and i am very happy with it. Very reliable in any conditions. Roomy enough to go around and do some winter and summer activities out in the woods. Original tires are Michelin and they are great.I choose this one over ford's only due to looks. Did not want the fake Bling bling shiny look. Front end is sportier looking.

Favorite Features

Tyre size, pop up rear window,reputation, conservative euro looks.

Suggested Improvements

i hate the `nosedive` stance. I would like more ground clearance in front. 2 inches more would level it and make it more practical in winter conditions. General building care is poor; gaps between panels are huge, rubbers are fixed poorly, sensible parts are not protected enough to my taste

Good overall
By Dave Malone

2009 Mazda Tribute s Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I had a 2001 Tribute with a V6 that was a gem. The new 2009 has all the goodies and is a fun ride. It performed very well on a 200 mile trip getting 25 mpg.The only fault I have,so far,is the use on black plastic trim used ont the center console and the placement of the center storage compartment. Compartment is very difficult to reach into because it is too far back from the driver. I only have 1,950 miles on the vehicle.

Favorite Features

A good drive with plenty of zip with the big engine. The upgraded sound system is very good also.

Suggested Improvements

improve the cheap interior trim and door handles.