2009 Mazda Tribute i Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2009 Tribute Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Sort Reviews by

Brake Failure for No Reason at 28K Miles
By electricstar

2009 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We own a 2009 Tribute, and thought it was a really good car, until yesterday, 3.5 years after we bought it. I was out with my kids, the car went "ping--." A red light indicates "brake." I thought my parking brake was on, but it wasn't. The display says "check brake system." I tried to brake, there was no traction. The car kept going. I stepped on the brake all the way, still no traction. I managed to roll the car back to our house. I called Madzda and Mazda refuses to take responsilities and wants me to pay for checkup just because the car is "out of warranty." If we got killed yesterday, who'd pay for the checkup? Mazda refused to allow us to speak with management.

Favorite Features

It doesn't matter how good the car was before. If you get that kind of random failure, even just once, I bet you've had enough. We could easily have gotten killed with the brake not working at all--had we been out on the freeway. We only had 28K miles on it and maintenance had been regular. Looks like Mazda's policy is--if you are out of warranty, you are free to die on your own. I tried to argue with Mazda's customer service, the rep said they couldn't take responsibility because there was no accident and we did not choose extended warranty when we purchased the car. I feel they would prefer that we got into an accident and got killed. Can extended warranty save lives?

Suggested Improvements

Mazda would have been happier if we got killed because no one would ask them to take responsibility. The custer service rep kept telling me she couldn't do anything and hang up on me. We got the same answer all three times we called. Warranty, no matter how elaborate it is, cannot save lives. We want to have nothing to do with that car, ever gain, which is now at the dealer's. Mazda would just tell us it's now fixed and OK. How could you ever trust such a car if it the brake fails like that? I need to protect my family. We all need to protect our family.

fun while it lasted.
By black_widow

2009 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Tribute with 7300 miles on it and I loved it. I traded it in with 35500 miles on it because the transmission had gotten really sluggish over the last 15000 and I was having problems with the breakes. It had been in the shop 5 times within the last 6 months and they still squeaked loudly. As far as the transmission I've read numorous reviews on the tribute/escape/mariner regarding the transmission issue and consumers needing new ones so i traded mine before it could give me problems. I loved the layout and the look of the vehicle. the 12v outlet in the back came out of its compartment and the one up front was loose. I got about 22-25 mpg city and 26-28 hwy.

Favorite Features

6 disc cd player, ipod jack

Suggested Improvements

quality of parts interior and under the hood.

Tribute on tough road
By nehemiah1

2009 Mazda Tribute i Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Tribute in June 2009 at Puerto Rico where drive conditions are rude and rush. So far my Tribute have 47000 miles and I just had to change the CV shaft, both of them. I drive an average of 50 miles daily and fuel usage is good, a fuel tank last almost 6 days. Music system is great and interiors are really cool. Safety systems on the Tribute are reliable.

Does the job
By Hugo Chalifour

2009 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have this SUV for more than a year now and i am very happy with it. Very reliable in any conditions. Roomy enough to go around and do some winter and summer activities out in the woods. Original tires are Michelin and they are great.I choose this one over ford's only due to looks. Did not want the fake Bling bling shiny look. Front end is sportier looking.

Favorite Features

Tyre size, pop up rear window,reputation, conservative euro looks.

Suggested Improvements

i hate the `nosedive` stance. I would like more ground clearance in front. 2 inches more would level it and make it more practical in winter conditions. General building care is poor; gaps between panels are huge, rubbers are fixed poorly, sensible parts are not protected enough to my taste

Good overall
By Dave Malone

2009 Mazda Tribute s Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I had a 2001 Tribute with a V6 that was a gem. The new 2009 has all the goodies and is a fun ride. It performed very well on a 200 mile trip getting 25 mpg.The only fault I have,so far,is the use on black plastic trim used ont the center console and the placement of the center storage compartment. Compartment is very difficult to reach into because it is too far back from the driver. I only have 1,950 miles on the vehicle.

Favorite Features

A good drive with plenty of zip with the big engine. The upgraded sound system is very good also.

Suggested Improvements

improve the cheap interior trim and door handles.

Function and style
By Lots of Utility

2009 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the Tribute for me and my wife, it has been great, lots of cargo space, fuel economy is exceptional from the 4 cylinder; and it has lots of power considering the other models we looked at with comparable engines. We typically see 29-30 mpg on road trips in West Texas it is primarily flat so cannot speak much of hills but out here it is a great combination of function, fuel economy and style

Favorite Features

fold flat 2nd row seats, sirius radio, alloy wheels on sport model, solid ride quality and interior fit and finish. Good visibility as well

Suggested Improvements

Lack of bluetooth is my only complaint but I have dealt with it before and am doing fine without it now. Maybe next time, eh?

Tribute vs Escape
By p clarke

2009 Mazda Tribute i Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the Tribute rather than the Escape because of interior and exterior styling differences.Ford needs to upgrade both, as well as paint colors. So far so good with the 4 banger.

Favorite Features

Styling

Suggested Improvements

Outside Temp gauge

Competent Performer
By Fun to Drive

2009 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This vehicle is fun to drive. A lot of vehicle for the money. A lot of extras are standard like fog lamps, tire pressure monitor, rear window wiper,washer, defroster. Great AC!

Favorite Features

Large sideview mirrors. Three interior colors - white, camel and brown give the interior a light, airy look. Brawny, bold front end. Electronic power steering is precise and gives good sense of control. Feels very stable pulling a small boat. Rear seats easily fold for more cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

In some lighting conditions dash instruments are hard to read and top of dash is reflected in windshield. Cargo area is too small when rear seats are in use. Optional cargo net and cover offer inadequate protection to occupants. Gas mileage with a 4 cylinder and 6 speed auto should be better.

Satisfied
By Tim Beaver

2009 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I've had the Tribute for about a week now. So far I've noticed a few things that weren't right upon delivery. The driver's seat has a hole in the cloth, the grab bar on the passenger side has screw plugs that don't quite fit, and the paint job isn't perfect with globs and runs and bad orange peel on the rear hatch. None of this is a deal breaker though as this was purchased as a winter beater/cargo hauler to save my G35 Coupe and C300 from unnecessary wear and tear. Looked at Ford Escape, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia offerings. This vehicle was the best combination of features/value/fuel efficiency I could find. I look forward to many winters of pleasant AWD commutes with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, easy to speed with this 4 cyl motor! AWD is seamless and undetectable. The whole family likes the upscale interior bits like the 6 disk player and piano black trim that Ford makes you pay extra for. Easy to park and maneuver in parking lots/alleys. Ride if firm but not unpleasant.

Suggested Improvements

Piano Black trim picks up/shows dust and finger prints daily. Carbon fiber might be a better substitute going forward. The rear end "hoots" at 5 mph. There is a TSB out about this that should have been dealt with before vehilce delivery. Better paint. Absent tie down hooks in cargo area.

Mazda Tribute Works For Me!
By Steve Reynolds

2009 Mazda Tribute i Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I were drawn to the Tribute because it is the perfect size for our needs. Also, it does not look like all the other boring, round tubby things that pass for small SUVs. Most SUVs look alike and are hard to tell apart, but not the Tribute. The seats are comfy on my large rear end, the 7 speaker radio blasts Sirius satellite radio loud and clear, and the truck (not car-derivative) goes where I point it. The only negative is that the attractive front end is made of plastic. A bug strike can mar the finish of the chrome-plated plastic grill. Unfortunately, Mazda is changing the Tribute for 2010 so it'll look more Japanese. Bummer. There 'ya go.