Used 2008 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Lousy Gas Mileage
By barbeehd

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I traded my 2002 tribute, V6 for this car and am disappointed in the MPG. It is worse than my 2002 and is a 4 cyl. Its nice looking but I wanted better MPG than I am getting. I may trade it in sooner than later.

Favorite Features

the cloth seats are great. Nice change from the leather I had which was too hot.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more numbers on the speedometer. I can't see quickly if I am at 40 or 50.

I like it so far
By spk151

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV s Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've put almost 1,000 miles on my 2008 Mazda Tribute. The Good: I love the looks white with black trim and tinted rear windows. It has performed adequately so far with no problems. It has decent acceleration at 200HP, while handling like a car and gets almost as good fuel economy as my 1999 Chevy Malibu (V6). The interior is roomy in both front and back seats. The complaints: Mazda claims to have a college graduate incentive program, but they do not in the USA. I'm not thrilled with the speedometer as it only displays in multiples of 20MPH, I guess writing in multiples of 10 would be too hard??? I do get a lot of reflection from the white hood. All-in-all I would buy it again.

Favorite Features

I like the boxy SUV styling unlike the CX7. 6 disk CD changer, tow package, and MP3 jack are wonderful. Car-like handling with raised seating platform. Comfortable front and rear seating. Ability to fold down rear seats (This is my first SUV). Lots of safety features.

Suggested Improvements

More numbers on the speedometer. Make the steering wheel adjustment easier to find. More power/better fuel economy (already improved for 2009). Go back to front and rear disc brakes. Readout for fuel remaining/average gas mileage. Standard mud guards on 4wd models. Built in cargo net hooks

downgrades
By gliptone

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV s Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i had a 2002 .that model had a sunroof pop up wind deflector 2008 does not 2002 had dual tone horns 2008 does not2002 had rear drum brakes this 2008 still does.rides better than 2002 corners not as well.

Favorite Features

safety features.leather seats.ride

Suggested Improvements

rear disc brakes,dual horn ,sunroof pop up wind deflector

BEWARE of TRANSMISSION COOLER Problems
By Michelle

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV s Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have constantly had problems with our tribute. The transmission cooler leaks. Actually I believ the component is recalled. We had it fixed once but the problem is still there. Beware if you plan to buy a Mazda tribute. If you live in the northwest territories make sure you can service the truck in the northwest territories. I have had to drive to grand praire Alberta so they can service the truck and look at the tranny leak. They said it was fine but the leak is still there. Mazda Canada said that I would have to always drive to grand praire to get it serviced escpecially if it was a warranty part. We payed from our own pockets $700.00. Mazda Canada reinbursed us $94.00. Beware

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

TRANSMISSION COOLER

I love it, but it could be better
By Greg

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV s Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The look - the exterior is much cooler than the 2002 which I previously owned, but no vinyl side panels that saved me a bundle when I got hit in the older one (no damage!). The interior - I love the high gloss look, but the sunglass holder door drops open every time I hit a bump. You still have to take the head rests off the back when putting the seat down. The rear cup holders on the console don't have the sleeve that the front ones do, so its very difficult to clean what the kids manage to put in there. Driving - it handles like a dream. I love driving this car.

Favorite Features

The stereo MP3 Player and iPod attachment, the cup holder sleeve, overdrive feature, intelligent 4WD, chocolate leather interior, heated seats, I could go on all day.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger side electrical adjustments, power jack on top of the dashboard where my portable GPS is mounted, cup sleeve for cup holders on console (back), fold out rear console, lower vinyl side panels.