Used 2008 Mazda Tribute i Touring SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Never buy a Mazda
By mlloyd1986

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car a crap. Within the first week of buying this car the paint had already started chipping. Had to bring it in to Mazda and they corrected the paint job. The seat belts went for no reason at all. Mazda ended up replacing the all four seat belts. The transmission went while I was on the highway going 60 mph and I only had 51,000 k on my tribute. Then my car wouldn't stop stalling and it was because my radiator was leaking coolant. That ended up having a recall and they replaced that TOO. This car is junk. Everything is wrong with it. As far as I'm concerned this car is unsafe. They should invest most care and money into this car instead of constantly fixing it's non stop problems.

Favorite Features

It's ok on gas. Although I've been noticing it's been getting worse and worse the more miles I put on it, but I only have about 52,500 k right now. I don't understand why. My car is very well maintained and up to speed with everything. I can not wait to pay off my loan for this hunk of junk. A toyota will be my next car.

Suggested Improvements

The seats in my car are white and black. You would think considering making white seats in a car they'd pick a fabric that was more a stain resistant or a better color that hid dirty better. The car does not corner very well at all. The car has no horse power. My car is very loud and I've brought it in twice to be looked at, and still they've found nothing........... My window is going on the drivers side. This car is just falling appart more and more everyday. I wish I didn't buy this car. It is by far the worst car I have ever owned. Do not buy this car. You're better off walking. Atleast you'll be safer........... This car is unsafe and I don't feel safe driving it AT ALL.

Rust problems
By Mazda lover

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

My 2008 Mazda Tribute have been working fine until recently that I found that the rear door seems and rear fender are rusting. The exterior face of the fender is peeling off and the inside is rusted. My vehicle has less than 60k miles. I usually wash my car during winter almost weekly to avoid this type of problems. The vehicle also has been in a garage all nights so I don't get why only a 2.5 yrs old car is rusting. I talked to the dealer where I bough it and they told that has a rust 5 yr warranty but covers everything that can make or made a hole in the body. They need to take pics and send it over to the regional warranty guy for approval. I'm trading in for a real Japanese car.

Favorite Features

Interior and cabin space

Suggested Improvements

Body quality and reduce cabin noise.

Not a bad little SUV
By Ryan

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We have had our Tribute for a little over 2 years and it has 50,000 miles on it. It had not given us one bit of trouble. The major thing that has disappointed me is the lack of power, but that is what you get with a 4 cyl. It gets fairly good gas mileage. We went on a trip a couple weeks back at it averaged 27 MPG. Its roomy enough in the cabin and I'm 6'4" and feel comfortable in it. Do wish there was a little more backseat space. A/C blows cold and the radio is easy to use and stylish. If it runs anything like the old Mazda B2300 I had we will keep it for a long time. I would recommend one.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, cold A/C, good gas mileage, easy to find and use buttons

Suggested Improvements

Some more engine power and easier to fold down back seats

Horrible Car
By chase11

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a brand new 2008 Tribute a little over 2 years ago, in the past year I have had problem with faulty valve stems on 3 of the tires, peeling plastic and paint on the exterior, sealing problems with the doors and back window hatch, and just today the driver door almost completely came off! I had to lift the door up and push it in just to get it shut good enough to drive home. I have never had so many car troubles in my life until I bought a mazda. My advice...look elsewhere!

Favorite Features

I like the sporty look of the vehicle, thats about the only good thing I can say about it.

Suggested Improvements

Major design defects need to be fixed. Issues can possible give a products liability claim to the manufacturer.

Two mths and happy
By Dsquare

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my tribute in early June 08 and have been happy. Took car from Va to Fla and did well. A little cramped for the 4 of us + luggage, but still managed 26+ mpg with a/c on the whole way. Excellent auto considering the price point.

Favorite Features

Styling, gas mileage, and very affordable.

Suggested Improvements

Tan interior is too light a color for trunk area. Would have been better to use gray. Also, could use lighted dial around ignition, plus headlights do not turn off automatically.