2008 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Window Regulator Should be Recalled
By swflmazda on 11/18/11 06:45 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Ok.. So not a bad car as my first mazda purchase. I am totally surprised there hasn't been a recall on these, that all but one of my power window regulators have snapped. Really poor poor poor design and cheap materials. Dealership wants me to pay for labor, will cost be around $800. No-way since this is faulty equipment. not standard wear and tear.. Also gas pedal gets stuck. Incredibly dangerous. Not sure what's worse; windows that do not work or a gas pedal that gets stuck. Other than that.. seems to be a decent car.

Swap the Continentals !!!
By pennypincher on 10/08/11 18:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Do yourself a favor and swap the crappy Continentals for Michelin Latitude (as Ford did for model year 2009 and on) or, for less $$, Khumo AST, or anything else that is more of a highway tire (less agressive treads) The noise reduction will be AMAZING !!! My wife thought we had a new ride. Always rotate the tires (front/rear, no X pattern) at EACH OIL CHANGE. The Tribute (Escape) rear suspension is soft (to avoid the jerkiness in turns) so the tires tend to chip off on the edges. So, diligent rotation will save the day. All in all the greatest value of my driving experience !!!

Great at first, now problems
By Disappointed on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Buyer beware. There is a problem with this vehicle and gas pedal getting stuck. If you go to the NHTSA website, you will find 9 complaints on gas pedal getting stuck. I submitted mine today, making it 10. It gets stuck in deceleration position, but going 60+mph, this is very dangerous. Once gas pedal gives, the SUV jerks forward. I drive this car a lot for business. I bought it in Nov. 2007. I have driven 68,000 miles on it. Radio stopped working, a short circuit. Had to buy aftermarket since Mazda charges $800 plus installation for stock. Battery had changed at 65,000 miles. I find it very comfortable for my 6/7 hour trips, but the gas pedal getting stuck has scared me.

It could improve
By CJ on 03/12/10 09:06 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda Tribute 2008 after owning a Chevy Malibu. I have owned this car since Nov. 2007. I have the 4cyl, manual. I have put 46,000 miles on it. It lacks in acceleration and power. The engine is very weak. This is the last time I buy a 4cyl. car. It looks like a real SUV and not the silly bubble which everyone seems to love today. When I first bought the car, a tank of gas=425 miles. This has dramatically dropped to 390 miles. I have kept up with all of its maintenance schedules. I have driven from IL to NY. I take it up and down the Midwest. Smooth and comfortable ride. Needs more power I have two children and plan to grow the family. Not large enough for three kids.

Great Car!
By Shannon on 10/02/08 08:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Tribute for 14 months and I still love it the same as I did a year ago. It's very reliable, good gas mileage and was a good choice for me and my family. I have a 6yr and a 1year old, even on long trips, it's a little small.. but good on gas (which is most important to us) I would buy from this Mazda again because my buying AND service experience has been great!!! I would recommend this car to anyone that wants a economical small SUV!

Tribute 5-speed 4-cyl Initial report
By 5speed on 07/19/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the Tribute i sport with 5-speed manual transmission,fwd, and 4-cyl engine because I wanted a vehicle with cargo capacity and respectable fuel economy. The dealer where I made the purchase had to locate the vehicle with this combination, because they had never had a Tribute on their lot with a manual transmission. There is not a photo available of the manual shift lever and console combination available in the Mazda brochure. But Mazda did a good job with the 5-speed package, the shift lever is well finished and attractive with a good relationship to the steering wheel. The clutch pressure is very light and makes shifting gears easy. Now have 1709 miles and my average MPG is 30.97

Wow II
By Trebor II on 10/23/07 17:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I evaluated the Tribute after 400 miles earlier here. I have dutifully, every fill up, recorded fuel consumption for over 5000 miles now. The mileage is incredible and I have only done a few minor things to it --put in a K&N filter (at 4000 mi) and Mobil 1 at 3000 mi. Here are the stats: overall avg. mpg 28.5. High: 33.11 mpg, low 25.5 mpg. On last tank full, averaged 32.6 (90% highway). If I drive between 60 & 65 and get it into 5th at 30 mph, I can get 32+. Between 65 & 70, I can get 30-32 mpg. Driven between 70 & 75, 28-30 mpg is possible. Above 75, it tails off as you would expect. This has got to be the most economical small SUV with a stick shift. Very pleased with it.

Wow!
By Trebor on 09/03/07 22:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've only driven this 2.3 L Sport 5 spd 400 miles or so. Traded a Mazda3 hatchback 5 speed with a variation on the 2.3 less torque and more hp. That engine is very sweet in the tribute and the shift linkage is nice. It's quiet at speed with a nice ride and quick good steering feel. And the epa nos. (22, 28) lead me to believe that 30 mpg on the highway will be possible. The interior is nicely designed and colorful (yellow/black upholstery/dash). If the fuel efficiency is similar to 3s, then Mazda/Ford have hit a home run by adding the 2.3L engine and stunning body upgrade. Great value!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.