Used 2008 Mazda Tribute i Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Window Regulator Should be Recalled
By swflmazda

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Ok.. So not a bad car as my first mazda purchase. I am totally surprised there hasn't been a recall on these, that all but one of my power window regulators have snapped. Really poor poor poor design and cheap materials. Dealership wants me to pay for labor, will cost be around $800. No-way since this is faulty equipment. not standard wear and tear.. Also gas pedal gets stuck. Incredibly dangerous. Not sure what's worse; windows that do not work or a gas pedal that gets stuck. Other than that.. seems to be a decent car.

Drives smooth.

Better equipment for the windows and better balance for car tires. The steel belts will separate in the tires if you do not rotate every 5K miles. That is not a lie. They will separate and your life will be at risk.

Swap the Continentals !!!
By pennypincher

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Do yourself a favor and swap the crappy Continentals for Michelin Latitude (as Ford did for model year 2009 and on) or, for less $$, Khumo AST, or anything else that is more of a highway tire (less agressive treads) The noise reduction will be AMAZING !!! My wife thought we had a new ride. Always rotate the tires (front/rear, no X pattern) at EACH OIL CHANGE. The Tribute (Escape) rear suspension is soft (to avoid the jerkiness in turns) so the tires tend to chip off on the edges. So, diligent rotation will save the day. All in all the greatest value of my driving experience !!!

Low Fuel Consumption Low insurance rate Low resale value (Great when you buy used !!) Inexpensive maintenance: no timing belt, drum brakes in the rear, long life spark plugs.

More comfortable seats. Standard cruise control STAY AWAY FROM CONTINENTALS TIRES !!!

Great at first, now problems
By Disappointed

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Buyer beware. There is a problem with this vehicle and gas pedal getting stuck. If you go to the NHTSA website, you will find 9 complaints on gas pedal getting stuck. I submitted mine today, making it 10. It gets stuck in deceleration position, but going 60+mph, this is very dangerous. Once gas pedal gives, the SUV jerks forward. I drive this car a lot for business. I bought it in Nov. 2007. I have driven 68,000 miles on it. Radio stopped working, a short circuit. Had to buy aftermarket since Mazda charges $800 plus installation for stock. Battery had changed at 65,000 miles. I find it very comfortable for my 6/7 hour trips, but the gas pedal getting stuck has scared me.

Very comfortable in long trips. Good gas mileage. Manual is fun to drive. Square shape instead of the silly bubble is great. Looks rugged.

gas pedal gets stuck, driver needs to use abnormal foot force to accelerate again. 4 cyl engine is extremely weak. Tires that Mazda sells it with are of very poor quality/dangerous in rain/snow. Stock radio is so-so. Cheap rear wheel drum brakes. Mazda compromised safety to save a few bucks.

It could improve
By CJ

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda Tribute 2008 after owning a Chevy Malibu. I have owned this car since Nov. 2007. I have the 4cyl, manual. I have put 46,000 miles on it. It lacks in acceleration and power. The engine is very weak. This is the last time I buy a 4cyl. car. It looks like a real SUV and not the silly bubble which everyone seems to love today. When I first bought the car, a tank of gas=425 miles. This has dramatically dropped to 390 miles. I have kept up with all of its maintenance schedules. I have driven from IL to NY. I take it up and down the Midwest. Smooth and comfortable ride. Needs more power I have two children and plan to grow the family. Not large enough for three kids.

Smooth ride. Very comfortable in long trips. Love the manual(wish they had it on the 6 cyl.).

Needs much more engine power. Like American cars, it should have a "trip" computer as standard equipment. Day time running lights.

Great Car!
By Shannon

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Tribute for 14 months and I still love it the same as I did a year ago. It's very reliable, good gas mileage and was a good choice for me and my family. I have a 6yr and a 1year old, even on long trips, it's a little small.. but good on gas (which is most important to us) I would buy from this Mazda again because my buying AND service experience has been great!!! I would recommend this car to anyone that wants a economical small SUV!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the color (ocean blue) with black leather seats.

It's everything I expected. I really have no disappointments. The interior lights are sometimes hard to figure out.. oh.. and I wish they had lights on the visors..