Used 2008 Mazda Tribute s Grand Touring SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

I love it, but it could be better
By Greg

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV s Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The look - the exterior is much cooler than the 2002 which I previously owned, but no vinyl side panels that saved me a bundle when I got hit in the older one (no damage!). The interior - I love the high gloss look, but the sunglass holder door drops open every time I hit a bump. You still have to take the head rests off the back when putting the seat down. The rear cup holders on the console don't have the sleeve that the front ones do, so its very difficult to clean what the kids manage to put in there. Driving - it handles like a dream. I love driving this car.

Favorite Features

The stereo MP3 Player and iPod attachment, the cup holder sleeve, overdrive feature, intelligent 4WD, chocolate leather interior, heated seats, I could go on all day.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger side electrical adjustments, power jack on top of the dashboard where my portable GPS is mounted, cup sleeve for cup holders on console (back), fold out rear console, lower vinyl side panels.

Somewhat Disappointed
By STX

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV s Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first time I buy a Mazda Tribute. Was pretty impressed with the design and the interior. Has plenty of room for driver and passengers. Has some good features that are very accessible from the drivers seat. Very good on mileage and economy.

Favorite Features

The interior design makes the vehicle look very classy. Looking at the vehicle from the outside, it sits higher off the ground - nice.

Suggested Improvements

I was surprised at some of the features it lacked. Some improvements I would like to see are the body side molding to prevent other vehicles from scratching yours when they open doors. Also, I would like to see an outside temperature and compass with the computer reading show fuel economy.

Redesign needed
By Like it

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV s Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the GT Mazda Tribute because of the standard features/price.But for a "grand" version, it is lacking. No lighted vanity mirrors. One coat hook in the entire car.Body side molding would help protect doors from dings. Interior looks like it was put together with spare parts, all different colors. Glare on driver side mirror reflecting AC vent inside car. Several mirror adjustments can't get rid of it. Would help if side mirror unit could be moved outward like on Chevy Blazers. To keep the cost of the vehicle down, I guess some features were not cost effective.

Favorite Features

Regular gas, 6 CD changer, console, heated seats, sunroof. Nice ride. Like that all the doors do not unlock when the car is turned off.

Suggested Improvements

Lighted vanity mirrors. One more "coat hook" in the back so you can at least use a travel clothes rod.Use one color in the interior. Redesign rear seats so you don't have to take them apart to fold them down.

I Love My 2008 Tribute!
By j garvey

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV s Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a wonderful SUV. The first road trip I got 25 mpg with not even 1000 miles on the vehicle! Handles very easily on the road and while driving in town. Very smooth ride. Comfortable seats. Love the heated front seats on cold mornings. Great acceleration. Love the interior. The lighted instrument panel is nice at night. Heater really heats up fast on cold mornings. This is really a great SUV for in town driving or out on the road.

Favorite Features

Love the interior design and leather seats. Also this SUV really is roomy, lots of cargo space and plenty of leg room for backseat passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Lighted mirrors on the visors. Also for the doors to lock automatically would be nice when you put it in drive.

Small SUV Zoom Zoom
By Native Austinite

2008 Mazda Tribute SUV s Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Research led me to the CX-7, but turned away from the premium gas requirement. Looked at/drove the Tribute and although "boxey," unlike the sleek CX-7, I insisted on a vehicle that operated on regular gas. I've had mine since the end of April and have had a couple of road trips. The ride is smooth and quiet, it's roomy, handles well, seats 5. V6 has the power to get you through traffic, not real impressed with the brakes, a bit mushy. The leather interior really dresses it out. A very good value in comparison to other small Japanese SUVs. Fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Great standard features including side air bags, tire pressure monitor, fog lamps, 6-CD changer and MP3 plugin, heated front seats and side mirrors, sunroof, and intelligent key.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better, would be interested in a hybrid version. A little more leg room in back seat would be a plus. Not crazy about the white dash panels in otherwise charcoal interior. Mazda, please put in lighted vanity mirrors.