2008 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
From new to now problems continue
By gz408 on 03/03/12 14:17 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

-4K miles Transmission cooler leaking (replaced under warranty) -8K miles Hard shifting (serviced under warranty) -22K miles transmission stuck in 2nd gear (covered under warranty) -24K miles replaced front brakes and rotors (pulsating and noisy) -Window regulator failure -26K L+R Tie rod end replacement (warranty) -35K engine knocking/tapping (warranty) -35K Serpentine belt tensioner failure (warranty) -46K Transmission shifting hard (not fixed yet) This vehicle is horribly built. Interior is noisy from all the cheap plastics. Suspension and ride quality is really bad too. I would not recommend purchasing this, you're better off with a Kia!!

Fuel Pump Sensor/computer is shot
By phxbarb on 02/01/12 17:12 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Tribute s Sport 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Everything has been fine until now. Nothing major. Yesterday driving along fine. Park. Go to store, come out. Starts, shakes, stops. Starts, shakes, moves a little, stops. Absolutely no warning anything wrong. Now a bill for $600 to get a sensor thing installed. What the?

Window Regulator Should be Recalled
By swflmazda on 11/18/11 06:45 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Ok.. So not a bad car as my first mazda purchase. I am totally surprised there hasn't been a recall on these, that all but one of my power window regulators have snapped. Really poor poor poor design and cheap materials. Dealership wants me to pay for labor, will cost be around $800. No-way since this is faulty equipment. not standard wear and tear.. Also gas pedal gets stuck. Incredibly dangerous. Not sure what's worse; windows that do not work or a gas pedal that gets stuck. Other than that.. seems to be a decent car.

Swap the Continentals !!!
By pennypincher on 10/08/11 18:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Do yourself a favor and swap the crappy Continentals for Michelin Latitude (as Ford did for model year 2009 and on) or, for less $$, Khumo AST, or anything else that is more of a highway tire (less agressive treads) The noise reduction will be AMAZING !!! My wife thought we had a new ride. Always rotate the tires (front/rear, no X pattern) at EACH OIL CHANGE. The Tribute (Escape) rear suspension is soft (to avoid the jerkiness in turns) so the tires tend to chip off on the edges. So, diligent rotation will save the day. All in all the greatest value of my driving experience !!!

Death Machine
By mansonslayer on 09/18/11 12:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Tribute s Touring 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have mine since 2008 and only thing i had to replace was the a/c/evaporator, even when it's a v6, the fuel comsumption is lower than many others 4 cld i had. maneuvability is awsome and the anti skid is good. I had a few changes done with the horsepower and now i run 1/4 mile in 12.5 sec.

Never buy a Mazda
By mlloyd1986 on 04/10/11 13:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Tribute i Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car a crap. Within the first week of buying this car the paint had already started chipping. Had to bring it in to Mazda and they corrected the paint job. The seat belts went for no reason at all. Mazda ended up replacing the all four seat belts. The transmission went while I was on the highway going 60 mph and I only had 51,000 k on my tribute. Then my car wouldn't stop stalling and it was because my radiator was leaking coolant. That ended up having a recall and they replaced that TOO. This car is junk. Everything is wrong with it. As far as I'm concerned this car is unsafe. They should invest most care and money into this car instead of constantly fixing it's non stop problems.

Great at first, now problems
By Disappointed on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Buyer beware. There is a problem with this vehicle and gas pedal getting stuck. If you go to the NHTSA website, you will find 9 complaints on gas pedal getting stuck. I submitted mine today, making it 10. It gets stuck in deceleration position, but going 60+mph, this is very dangerous. Once gas pedal gives, the SUV jerks forward. I drive this car a lot for business. I bought it in Nov. 2007. I have driven 68,000 miles on it. Radio stopped working, a short circuit. Had to buy aftermarket since Mazda charges $800 plus installation for stock. Battery had changed at 65,000 miles. I find it very comfortable for my 6/7 hour trips, but the gas pedal getting stuck has scared me.

Long Commuter
By Marcel on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Tribute s Sport 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 112 mile round trip commute to work. I like the handling, the styling inside and outside, and the summer gas mileage (28 mpg highway). City mileage is low in the winter, (around 20 mpg.) Front brakes and rotors have been replaced 3 times since taking ownership, (65,000 miles). See some rust starting on back doors. See rust starting on tail gate jam where weather stripping comes together by latch. I wash and wax weekly. It's quiet, decent power, Hydroplaning occurs on water-soaked highway roads, need to slow down under 50 to feel safe. Handles okay in winter. I use snow tires on all 4 wheels in winter. Don't like the anti-skid feature.

Rust Problems Here Too
By ChicagoDriver on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

So I hate to say anything bad about my 2008 Tribute, which we just traded in last week, and I loved owning. It was a simple car without any fuss, and perfect for me! The only bad thing about it is the rust. I noticed a few other reviews mentioning this, and i found it a little too coincidental that we all have found the same rust problems. Mazda must have gotten cheap on their materials, or they stared buying steel from China. I bent down to check on my tires one day and I couldn't believe how badly rusted out the wheel well was. I traded the car in a week later.

Cool SUV
By NFNA on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Tribute i Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Had a terrible accident in a sedan that opened my eyes to the fact that you can just kill yourself down on the ground. Switched to Tribute after my car was totaled and have had very good experience with it. They could have used better quality material but I guess then it would have been more expensive. Overall I find it a great deal for the money. There is little noise in the cabin while driving. I get very good gas economy. My advise is to use the plus fuel (mid grade) it gives you far more mileage for the price. I avoid the premium fuel since the car is not designed for it and may damage the engine in the long run.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.