Dead at 47,000 miles
By sanzan on
2006 Mazda Tribute i 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)
I've had this car for 6 1/2 years and just paid it off months ago. I loved this car the entire time I had it. Rarely had to put any money into it other than maintenance. It was the perfect size for me and went great in the snow. Until last week. The valves started to tap and before I could get to a gas station to put oil in it, the engine locked up. No warning. Got it to the repair shop and upon inspection, they found that the engine was dead - $5,300 for a new engine. Since that is about what the blue book value is, I decided to just buy a new car. The oil had been changed last 4,000 miles ago. There was no reason for the oil to have leaked, but apparently it did. Trade in $500.
Favorite Features
Great in the snow. Perfect size for an SUV Easy to drive
Suggested Improvements
A month ago I would have given this car a rave review. Sudden engine death has killed my love of Mazda vehicles. I have read reviews by others that had the same problem, and actually know someone else that had this happen also.
By jomarex
on 04/30/13 21:59 PM (PDT)

Who changed the oil? If it was a shop, it's entirely possible that they did something wrong, even to the point of forgetting to put new oil in it! That has happened many times. Unfortunately, we can't trust them to take as much care with our cars as we do...