Used 2006 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Most Helpful|
great value among all SUV in market
By 4cyl 2006 tribute

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

this is great SUV, for less than 19k , which i paid this suv is great for its class and performance, i drove 29k miles and still going great , did not spend any dime other than regular oil change sporty and sexy suv,can not beat its value and class and modest price tag

Favorite Features

sporty, good fuel efficiency, drives like car

Suggested Improvements

seat cloth quality not that great,

2006 Tribute Can't Tow
By frisbeeboy

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I researched and bought my 2006 Tribute s AWD, but it did not have the factory tow package. The dealer told me that you can add a hitch. The only problem is that it won't accept aftermarket wiring! I had two different trailer wiring harnesses installed by a pro and they both fired the module. The second one burned out the Tribute's computer. Mazda replaced it as a "good will gesture", but said that it can't accept an aftermarket trailer harness. My tribute also needed the leather driver's seat cover replaced, and a sunroof switch. Can anyone help with the wiring issue. I really want to tow a small trailer and also want to keep the tribute. BTW- it only gets 18-20mpg around town.

Dead at 47,000 miles
By sanzan

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 6 1/2 years and just paid it off months ago. I loved this car the entire time I had it. Rarely had to put any money into it other than maintenance. It was the perfect size for me and went great in the snow. Until last week. The valves started to tap and before I could get to a gas station to put oil in it, the engine locked up. No warning. Got it to the repair shop and upon inspection, they found that the engine was dead - $5,300 for a new engine. Since that is about what the blue book value is, I decided to just buy a new car. The oil had been changed last 4,000 miles ago. There was no reason for the oil to have leaked, but apparently it did. Trade in $500.

Favorite Features

Great in the snow. Perfect size for an SUV Easy to drive

Suggested Improvements

A month ago I would have given this car a rave review. Sudden engine death has killed my love of Mazda vehicles. I have read reviews by others that had the same problem, and actually know someone else that had this happen also.

Zoom Zoom My Tail!! Bad Car
By mkburgess828

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I posted about 2 months ago because the Tranny went out! This has been the most terrible vehicle that I have ever owned! In addition to the transmission going out at about 108k now my engine is shot. The vehicle has a 112k on it now. It's the 2.3 4 cylinder 2x4. Very Slow, very little performance at all. They look sharp but without doubt a true money pit disaster. I drive my car very easy and perform routine maintanence ahead of time!! All out just a bad vehicle!!!

Suggested Improvements

2.3 Drivetrain

CRAPPY CRAPPY TRANSMISSION!!!!
By mkburgess828

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Tribute w/ 77k on her 17 months ago and first off it is VERY weak. I maintain my vehicle myself and do so very OCD like. The transmission gave out on me @ 108k. My only complaints are the noticable lack of power and the PATHETIC transmissions Mazda designed and installed on these vehicles! Thank Goodness I have a GREAT hookup here in NC which rebuilt the tranny with much better than factory parts. I took out and reinstalled the transmission myself which saved $400. The rebulid alone was $900 which is a deal. If you buy a Tribute be prepared to replace the tranny without ANY doubt. For someone without help or ability its gonna be $1800-$2500..EASY Good luck, You'll need it!!!

Favorite Features

Very stylish exterior design and very roomey interior. I like being able to run the fog lights without having to run the headlights at the same time.

Suggested Improvements

Please redesign the transmission. That is the only downfall to this 06 Tribute I own. It is a major cost factor for owners. I drive my Mazda Very, Very easy and still the tranny shot out on me.