2006 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Fun at First...but then
By brokken12 on 03/01/13 21:00 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When we first got the Tribute we really loved it. We got an extended warranty since we bought the car used. This was a good thing because wheel bearings, the 4WD shift controller, Rear Suspension where just some of the things that needed to be fixed in the first few months. We took on a trip through the Maritimes and it had lots of pick-up, no issues on climbing some hilly terrain or passing. The comfort inside was great, but the radio broke and cup holder kept coming off. The all leather interior on our model was great and easy to clean.

Dead at 47,000 miles
By sanzan on 12/21/12 18:34 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 6 1/2 years and just paid it off months ago. I loved this car the entire time I had it. Rarely had to put any money into it other than maintenance. It was the perfect size for me and went great in the snow. Until last week. The valves started to tap and before I could get to a gas station to put oil in it, the engine locked up. No warning. Got it to the repair shop and upon inspection, they found that the engine was dead - $5,300 for a new engine. Since that is about what the blue book value is, I decided to just buy a new car. The oil had been changed last 4,000 miles ago. There was no reason for the oil to have leaked, but apparently it did. Trade in $500.

Zoom Zoom My Tail!! Bad Car
By mkburgess828 on 11/05/12 10:59 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I posted about 2 months ago because the Tranny went out! This has been the most terrible vehicle that I have ever owned! In addition to the transmission going out at about 108k now my engine is shot. The vehicle has a 112k on it now. It's the 2.3 4 cylinder 2x4. Very Slow, very little performance at all. They look sharp but without doubt a true money pit disaster. I drive my car very easy and perform routine maintanence ahead of time!! All out just a bad vehicle!!!

CRAPPY CRAPPY TRANSMISSION!!!!
By mkburgess828 on 09/24/12 23:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Tribute w/ 77k on her 17 months ago and first off it is VERY weak. I maintain my vehicle myself and do so very OCD like. The transmission gave out on me @ 108k. My only complaints are the noticable lack of power and the PATHETIC transmissions Mazda designed and installed on these vehicles! Thank Goodness I have a GREAT hookup here in NC which rebuilt the tranny with much better than factory parts. I took out and reinstalled the transmission myself which saved $400. The rebulid alone was $900 which is a deal. If you buy a Tribute be prepared to replace the tranny without ANY doubt. For someone without help or ability its gonna be $1800-$2500..EASY Good luck, You'll need it!!!

Will never buy a Mazda Again
By firsttimer8 on 07/11/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At first this vehicle was great. Loved how sturdy it was and how it drove. UNTIL I hit 70,000 miles. Things went south and fast. So far the oil pan had to be re-sealed TWICE, the transmission was leaking, the rack and pinon leaking (for break fluid), the starter had to be replaced, and now the alternator is bad. This all has happened in under a year. The dealership I bought it from stated I had an extended warranty for buying it and they also did not honor that warranty so all of the above was paid out of pocket. I really got a crappy Mazda. With 2 kids and hubby being the only one that works and me in school, This car has really put us in a hole and that is an understatement.

2006 Tribute Can't Tow
By frisbeeboy on 01/16/11 14:02 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I researched and bought my 2006 Tribute s AWD, but it did not have the factory tow package. The dealer told me that you can add a hitch. The only problem is that it won't accept aftermarket wiring! I had two different trailer wiring harnesses installed by a pro and they both fired the module. The second one burned out the Tribute's computer. Mazda replaced it as a "good will gesture", but said that it can't accept an aftermarket trailer harness. My tribute also needed the leather driver's seat cover replaced, and a sunroof switch. Can anyone help with the wiring issue. I really want to tow a small trailer and also want to keep the tribute. BTW- it only gets 18-20mpg around town.

great value among all SUV in market
By 4cyl 2006 tribute on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

this is great SUV, for less than 19k , which i paid this suv is great for its class and performance, i drove 29k miles and still going great , did not spend any dime other than regular oil change sporty and sexy suv,can not beat its value and class and modest price tag

First time Mazda owner update
By Judy H. on 08/04/10 20:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am writing an update to my review of 4 years ago. I still really like my Tribute, and would probably buy another one. Done all routine maintenance and have had no mechanical issues (knock on wood) and hope it continues that way.

A Good Ride
By A Good Ride on 06/15/10 19:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Tribute new and chose it over the competitors because of price and value. I've owned it for 4 years and never had any problems with it. I would have kept for many more years but needed more room after finding out we were having our 3rd child,so we traded for a minivan. It gets pretty good gas mileage for an suv around 21mpg nice ride but a little noisy at higher speeds. Good family suv and good trunk space. Overall a great value compared to the other small suvs on the market.

Used to love her Part TWO!
By niccorcal on 03/01/10 10:15 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

An update to my previous post from 9/09. Sooo I ended up spending just over $3000 to have my transmission rebuilt, if only I could post the pictures! ALL of the metal parts in the transmission were all eaten up, its as if the metal they used weren't heated up to the right temperature when it was being produced. The company fixing it has never seen such a thing on a new car in their 30 yrs of business. So I think it's over,a little over a month and my other ABS wheel axle, one of the main reasons all the problems came to light starts going out, affecting once again my transmission, faulty axles and crappy transmission material. 3 months later I'm driving a BMW X3! Obviously way better quality!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.