Used 2006 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda Tribute

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Awesome little SUV!
By JS

2006 Mazda Tribute s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '06 Tribby used in 2010 and it has served me very well with no major mechanical problems. This is a great car for a DIYer, because the maintenance is easy to perform. It handles quite well, with almost a car-like feeling. Performance is decent as well, it can easily tow small boats and trailers with no problem. It does lack a little power when you seat 5 and haul luggage and a trailer, but this has to be expected for a 200hp and sub-200 ft/lbs vehicle. A downside of the car is that fuel economy isn't very good. Traction in the snow is amazing, the 4wd does its job very well. I have never been stuck anywhere, even in the worst Quebec snowstorms with 50cm of snow (of course, good winter tires and the high ground clearance also help). It has plenty of cargo space and the interior is roomy. The sound system is decent but I wish it at least had an auxiliary input. Just do your regular maintenance and replace aging parts before they fail, and this car will amaze you with its reliability. Mine is going on 10 years and I feel almost no signs of aging (keep in mind that I have taken great preventive care of it, religiously changed all fluids, etc.). You should also be careful of rust buildup, I had some rust starting on the tailgate and had it fixed by a bodyshop before it was too bad. 10/10 would recommend

Nice value
By Wes

2006 Mazda Tribute i 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Gas mileage is as low as 12-15 mpg in town. Max of 21 mpg long distance hwy.

Very reliable. NO repairs needed since 2006.

Fun at First...but then
By brokken12

2006 Mazda Tribute s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When we first got the Tribute we really loved it. We got an extended warranty since we bought the car used. This was a good thing because wheel bearings, the 4WD shift controller, Rear Suspension where just some of the things that needed to be fixed in the first few months. We took on a trip through the Maritimes and it had lots of pick-up, no issues on climbing some hilly terrain or passing. The comfort inside was great, but the radio broke and cup holder kept coming off. The all leather interior on our model was great and easy to clean.

We both liked the leather interior, the sun-roof, the heated seats. Also has lots of leg room in the front and back seats. Lots of cargo space and privacy cover much sturdier than other vehicules.

Very noisy when doing highway driving. Wheels come out of alignment much too easily which affect tire wear. Fuel efficiency is far from good, cost about $70 to fill probably 3 times in 2 week period.

Dead at 47,000 miles
By sanzan

2006 Mazda Tribute i 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 6 1/2 years and just paid it off months ago.
I loved this car the entire time I had it.
Rarely had to put any money into it other than maintenance.
It was the perfect size for me and went great in the snow.
Until last week.

The valves started to tap and before I could get to a gas station to put oil in it, the engine locked up.
No warning.
Got it to the repair shop and upon inspection, they found that the engine was dead - $5,300 for a new engine.
Since that is about what the blue book value is, I decided to just buy a new car.

The oil had been changed last 4,000 miles ago.
There was no reason for the oil to have leaked, but apparently it did.
Trade in $500.

Great in the snow. Perfect size for an SUV Easy to drive

A month ago I would have given this car a rave review. Sudden engine death has killed my love of Mazda vehicles. I have read reviews by others that had the same problem, and actually know someone else that had this happen also.

Zoom Zoom My Tail!! Bad Car
By mkburgess828

2006 Mazda Tribute i 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I posted about 2 months ago because the Tranny went out! This has been the most terrible vehicle that I have ever owned! In addition to the transmission going out at about 108k now my engine is shot. The vehicle has a 112k on it now. It's the 2.3 4 cylinder 2x4. Very Slow, very little performance at all. They look sharp but without doubt a true money pit disaster. I drive my car very easy and perform routine maintanence ahead of time!!
All out just a bad vehicle!!!

2.3 Drivetrain