Used 2006 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Fun at First...but then
By brokken12

2006 Mazda Tribute s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When we first got the Tribute we really loved it. We got an extended warranty since we bought the car used. This was a good thing because wheel bearings, the 4WD shift controller, Rear Suspension where just some of the things that needed to be fixed in the first few months. We took on a trip through the Maritimes and it had lots of pick-up, no issues on climbing some hilly terrain or passing. The comfort inside was great, but the radio broke and cup holder kept coming off. The all leather interior on our model was great and easy to clean.

We both liked the leather interior, the sun-roof, the heated seats. Also has lots of leg room in the front and back seats. Lots of cargo space and privacy cover much sturdier than other vehicules.

Very noisy when doing highway driving. Wheels come out of alignment much too easily which affect tire wear. Fuel efficiency is far from good, cost about $70 to fill probably 3 times in 2 week period.

Dead at 47,000 miles
By sanzan

2006 Mazda Tribute i 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 6 1/2 years and just paid it off months ago. I loved this car the entire time I had it. Rarely had to put any money into it other than maintenance. It was the perfect size for me and went great in the snow. Until last week. The valves started to tap and before I could get to a gas station to put oil in it, the engine locked up. No warning. Got it to the repair shop and upon inspection, they found that the engine was dead - $5,300 for a new engine. Since that is about what the blue book value is, I decided to just buy a new car. The oil had been changed last 4,000 miles ago. There was no reason for the oil to have leaked, but apparently it did. Trade in $500.

Great in the snow. Perfect size for an SUV Easy to drive

A month ago I would have given this car a rave review. Sudden engine death has killed my love of Mazda vehicles. I have read reviews by others that had the same problem, and actually know someone else that had this happen also.

Zoom Zoom My Tail!! Bad Car
By mkburgess828

2006 Mazda Tribute i 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I posted about 2 months ago because the Tranny went out! This has been the most terrible vehicle that I have ever owned! In addition to the transmission going out at about 108k now my engine is shot. The vehicle has a 112k on it now. It's the 2.3 4 cylinder 2x4. Very Slow, very little performance at all. They look sharp but without doubt a true money pit disaster. I drive my car very easy and perform routine maintanence ahead of time!! All out just a bad vehicle!!!

2.3 Drivetrain

CRAPPY CRAPPY TRANSMISSION!!!!
By mkburgess828

2006 Mazda Tribute i 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Tribute w/ 77k on her 17 months ago and first off it is VERY weak. I maintain my vehicle myself and do so very OCD like. The transmission gave out on me @ 108k. My only complaints are the noticable lack of power and the PATHETIC transmissions Mazda designed and installed on these vehicles! Thank Goodness I have a GREAT hookup here in NC which rebuilt the tranny with much better than factory parts. I took out and reinstalled the transmission myself which saved $400. The rebulid alone was $900 which is a deal. If you buy a Tribute be prepared to replace the tranny without ANY doubt. For someone without help or ability its gonna be $1800-$2500..EASY Good luck, You'll need it!!!

Very stylish exterior design and very roomey interior. I like being able to run the fog lights without having to run the headlights at the same time.

Please redesign the transmission. That is the only downfall to this 06 Tribute I own. It is a major cost factor for owners. I drive my Mazda Very, Very easy and still the tranny shot out on me.

Will never buy a Mazda Again
By firsttimer8

2006 Mazda Tribute s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At first this vehicle was great. Loved how sturdy it was and how it drove. UNTIL I hit 70,000 miles. Things went south and fast. So far the oil pan had to be re-sealed TWICE, the transmission was leaking, the rack and pinon leaking (for break fluid), the starter had to be replaced, and now the alternator is bad. This all has happened in under a year. The dealership I bought it from stated I had an extended warranty for buying it and they also did not honor that warranty so all of the above was paid out of pocket. I really got a crappy Mazda. With 2 kids and hubby being the only one that works and me in school, This car has really put us in a hole and that is an understatement.

Improve your warranty and make sure things dont go to crap.