Tribute to the test
By TexasBoy on
2005 Mazda Tribute s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
This Tribute seems more reliable than average. Short wheelbase but with a softer suspension. Feels like a truck or more specifically, like a much shorter Explorer. It does seem fairly top heavy to me and like it could roll more easily than many. The stock stereo is below average. I think it's one of the best looking compact SUVs on the market. Gas mileage is weak, but it is a truck. The V6 seems adequate (200 hp or so) at times and much more than adequate at other times. When you dial up the real power, the engine is much louder and feels like it's straining. Small gas tank.
Favorite Features
Passing power and cargo room. I'll be replacing it with something that handles and corners better, something that is more refined, comfortable (although I won't say this Tribute is uncomfortable), but more importantly, hold its value better. Large space for luggage in the back.
Suggested Improvements
Body roll is not great which equates to seats with a severe lack of side support. Wider and lower to the ground and stiffer suspension would be my suggestion. Back seat room is decent.