the best of the rest
By tenpoundhead on
2005 Mazda Tribute s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
I have 7k miles on my "Redfire" 2005 AWD Tribbie, and it's a love hate relationship. Did a lot of comparison shopping, and it came down to this or the CRV. The Mazda cost a little more, but it's worth it. Great small suv, very practical, awesome performance and handling (I live in the mountains of Colorado.) Even in the basic package w- out a lot of options, this vehicle rules. My main issue with it is that the strong Ford V6 is 1.) kinda noisy, and 2.) extremely thirsty. I'm getting milage comparable to a Hummer! OK, not quite that bad, but no way I'm getting the advertised MPG. Try about 17 MPG. Otherwise this is a fantastic SUV.
Favorite Features
Comfort in the cabin, handling/ cornering, appearance, braking ability (4-wheel discs, baby!) automatic passenger airbag shutoff if junior doesn't weigh enough. Split rear gate.
Suggested Improvements
Like many have already said, put a light on the ignition switch so I can see it in the dark! My 2003 Protege' managed to have this feature. More hanger hooks for clothing- only one, in the way back? C'mon! The biggie? Have Ford drop a six in this thing that doesn't destroy fuel. Really!