Used 2005 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mazda Tribute

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

In sum: great value.
By zoom-zoom baby

2005 Mazda Tribute s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The good: Fun to drive. Good driving visibility. Roomy. Rugged. Good looking SUV. Easy to maneuver in the city. Comfortable when taking road trips. Sufficient power for most needs. The bad: MPG. Another couple of miles per gallon would make me feel better. With the second row seat folded down the center console will not open fully. Duh. Cupholders don't accommodate various sizes and heights. Tall drinks next to the center console latch won't fit and is in the way of your arm resting on the console lid. Further, two cups are tough to hold at the same time. I find 20 oz cups/12 oz cans work best. Drop something between the seats, good luck getting it out! Need more places to store stuff.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. The price is competitive. But really, it is fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the huge center console. It frees up leg movement and picking up items dropped between the seats. I would place the cupholders down between the seats, have armrests built with the front seats, and include storage space for cell phones, sunglasses, etc. Bigger gas tank and sun visors. Lighted cruise controls.

Great Little Ride
By alaskanseminole

2005 Mazda Tribute i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my 2003 Chevy Tahoe which was the best vehicle I ever owned. Sadly gas prices forced me into a smaller SUV. Fortunately the Tribute took the sting out of losing my Tahoe. GREAT LITTLE SUV! I love the fact the 2005 model allowed the upgraded interior for the 4 cylinder. The power leather seats are great. The only options this little guy doesn't have is the v6 and sun roof. I average between 19 and 22 MPG around town. I'm still anxious to see what it will get on a road trip. With the aluminum wheels, color keyed exterior and side-step bars this SUV looks sharp. My only complaint is the 4 cylinder doesn't have enough power to get out of its own way much less fast moving traffic--IT IS SO SLOW!

Favorite Features

Leather seats; Home Link, auto dimming rearview mirror; overall look of exterior/interior (the standard interior is very cheap. GO WITH THE LIMITED TRIM!); good sounding stereo; great cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Larger door pockets; more HP for the 4 cylinder; quieter ride--ITS VERY CREAKY!

Buy it, then buy new tires
By pedersen

2005 Mazda Tribute s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love this SUV. Have 20,000 miles on it at the time I'm writing this and already planning to buy another one this spring to replace another vehicle we have. Have had no problems whatsoever other than the subwoofer died. Dealer replaced it in an hour, no questions asked. If you're shopping for one, there are two things to pay attention to. One, the driving position; with the power seat all the way back the steering wheel is a long reach. Two, compare the Tribute and Escape carefully. They package the options very differently. I find the 6-way power seat very necessary for comfort. You can get that feature in lesser priced editions of the Escape compared to the Mazda.

Favorite Features

Style, size of vehicle, fun to drive, ease of use, decent gas mileage, low cost of ownership. Everything really.

Suggested Improvements

Plan to buy new tires from the beginning. The Continental tires that come with it are the source of most of the noise problems. We bought the Bridgestone Aleza. Instantly made it more enjoyable to drive. Use Tirerack.com for research, one of the categories they rate tires on is noise levels.

Good Move
By Bill Cupo (The Coop)

2005 Mazda Tribute i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a Mazda Protege 5 for this SUV and found a vehicle that was just as much fun to drive and believe it or not, not that much worse on gas mileage. This 4 cylinder SUV has plenty of pick-up for me since I won't be towing a camper or boat anytime soon. Plenty of front leg and head room, good view of the road, and comfortable on long rides, I plan to keep this vehicle for a while.

Favorite Features

Leg room, head room, great looks, 300 miles on a tank of gas around town and close to 400 on highway driving.

Suggested Improvements

Moonroof for the 4 cylinder, light for the ignition, Heated seats for leather option.

Best values/Reliability is your luck
By Wayne

2005 Mazda Tribute s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After only 600 miles, the transmission is locked up. Dealers replaced it with a rebuilt transmission within two weeks. It should be replaced with a brand new transmission. The car now has 7000 miles on the odometer and it is running fine now. Actually, I am kind of lucky to have the transmission completely lockup. Otherwise, I will only get 8-10 miles a gallon but it will never get fixed.

Favorite Features

Roomy back seat. 4 wheel disk brakes. Automatic 4 wheel drive. Side air bags. 4 years warranty vs the 3 years from Ford Escape.

Suggested Improvements

Better plastic for the dash board. Bigger rear view mirror.