Used 2005 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Noisy!!!
By bbason

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After having the Tribute for less than a year, I couldn't take the creaking noises coming from the doors. I took it into the dealership to be fixed. They say it is the door strikers and they had to be adjusted. That only worked for about a month and then the creaking came back. Although it doesn't look as good, I applied electrical tape around the door catch and have not heard the noises anymore. However, the outside noise is awful. When I'm on my cell phone, callers say it sounds like my windows are open. Outside of the noises, the car is awesome. No maintenance problems after 3 years.

Favorite Features

Look and feel.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Reduce cabin noise.

Nana's Zoom Zoom
By Juanita

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Tribute for 2 years now and have 20,000 miles on it. I love driving it. Has good pick-up when I need it.

Favorite Features

Moon roof, stereo.

Suggested Improvements

When it is dark you can't see the cruise control buttons. This was poor engineering on Mazda's part. Need to add more lights.

2 year review
By bigbaby

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

it's been almost 2 years with this car and I have nothing to complain about. Maybe on this one I'm just lucky. It seems to ride and accelerate better with time. No problems at all! When lease is done in 5/08 I may just buy this puppy (although that Ford Edge is looking pretty good).

Favorite Features

Lots of features if you get the 's' model with the value package (6 disc changer, moonroof, power driver seat, etc.).

Suggested Improvements

I wish some of the interior materials were a bit more upscale (steering wheel for example). And as I said before, as have other reviewers, needs a bigger fuel tank.

30,000 review
By lap

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm not sure if I'm just lucky, good with preventative maintenance, etc. - but with 30,000 miles on my Tribute I'm happy to report I haven't had one thing go wrong! I still love my truck after 2 years.

Favorite Features

Pros: got a great deal, 100% reliable so far, lots of torque in the v6, moonroof is cool, leather seats are comfy, power seating nifty, fog lights, AWD, seating position, A/C works great.

Suggested Improvements

Cons: tires are noisy - thinking of replacing them early, gas tank far too small (20 gals would be way better than 16.5 gals Mazda!), heated seat switches are in bizarre location, wish the CD player handled mp3 disks, seems like it should warm up slightly quicker - but it is a big engine.

Best Compact SUV on the market
By Thomas

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in a 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander for my Tribute S and I love it. While the gas mileage in the 3.0 V6 is not as good as my Mitsu was, the comfort, interior design, and smooth power delivery make up for it. The ground clearance and elevated seating positions make it great for highway driving. The S models come really well equipped and with anti-lock brakes and side impact airbags and side air curtains, I feel very safe.

Favorite Features

7 speaker premium audio system with 6CD changer, nice leather seats, interior design, exterior looks, seat comfort is awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel mounted audio controls, and put a power port in the rear cargo area! Also, the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel feel cheap when compared to the build quality of the rest of the interior. Better fuel economy out of the V6.