2005 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Bad on mileage and power
By biggun52 on 07/19/06 13:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute i AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I first looked a the Escape and almost bought, but they did not budge for the price. I then went to Mazda and bought the cousin for $2,000 less. Great SUV until the AC is on, then I need someone for a push (No power). ROTTEN GAS MILEAGE, otherwise not bad.

great awd ride for $18,900 dollars
By mazdajerry on 06/27/06 12:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Most bang for the buck for an awd suv, the Kia Sportage would be close behind. 200 hp and still 18-19mpg in town, and 23-25 on the highway is fine by me. In my opinion it is the best looking suv, with the MDX close.

My Zoom-Zoom
By jgoldfish on 06/22/06 20:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Tribute is an excellent SVU. It is perfect to haul the skis, kids, dogs, bikes, etc. with a great sporty look that we were looking for. We tested the Saturn look alike, thought it was too cheap inside. We didn't every let the kids in at the dealership because we were afraid something would fall off in the interior of it. The service at our Mazda dealer was superior to any dealer in the area. Even a year after the purchase our dealer and the Mazda dealership is always there to answer any question we have just as friendly as the date of purchase.

Not a 6
By Wayne Ferguson on 06/15/06 13:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a Mazda 6 11/04. Not a thing gone wrong to date. Tribute had lock problems from factory, engine failure (plugs and computer) at 9K. You can see the Ford connection in this truck. Also no where near the advertised fuel mileage. First and last Mazda SUV.

Love this car
By mwe2121 on 06/14/06 22:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Tribute in Feb 06 with only 6,000 miles on it. In 4 months I have put an additional 10,000 miles on it. The car rides and handles great. The leather seats are comfortable even after putting 1500 miles on in one day. Getting in and out of the vehicle is easy; even my Grandma agrees with me that it's easier to get in and out of then my mom's 02 Ford Explorer. Controls are easily accessible and easy to use even at night. There's plenty of room inside the vehicle for 4 big adults and a child. With the seats down there's plenty of room for hauling stuff. The AWD works great in the snow and on the ice. Drove up the iced cover road to Paradise on Mt. Rainier - no problem in March and driven through heavy mud.

In sum: great value.
By zoom-zoom baby on 05/19/06 23:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The good: Fun to drive. Good driving visibility. Roomy. Rugged. Good looking SUV. Easy to maneuver in the city. Comfortable when taking road trips. Sufficient power for most needs. The bad: MPG. Another couple of miles per gallon would make me feel better. With the second row seat folded down the center console will not open fully. Duh. Cupholders don't accommodate various sizes and heights. Tall drinks next to the center console latch won't fit and is in the way of your arm resting on the console lid. Further, two cups are tough to hold at the same time. I find 20 oz cups/12 oz cans work best. Drop something between the seats, good luck getting it out! Need more places to store stuff.

Great Little Ride
By alaskanseminole on 04/26/06 11:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my 2003 Chevy Tahoe which was the best vehicle I ever owned. Sadly gas prices forced me into a smaller SUV. Fortunately the Tribute took the sting out of losing my Tahoe. GREAT LITTLE SUV! I love the fact the 2005 model allowed the upgraded interior for the 4 cylinder. The power leather seats are great. The only options this little guy doesn't have is the v6 and sun roof. I average between 19 and 22 MPG around town. I'm still anxious to see what it will get on a road trip. With the aluminum wheels, color keyed exterior and side-step bars this SUV looks sharp. My only complaint is the 4 cylinder doesn't have enough power to get out of its own way much less fast moving traffic--IT IS SO SLOW!

Buy it, then buy new tires
By pedersen on 04/18/06 10:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love this SUV. Have 20,000 miles on it at the time I'm writing this and already planning to buy another one this spring to replace another vehicle we have. Have had no problems whatsoever other than the subwoofer died. Dealer replaced it in an hour, no questions asked. If you're shopping for one, there are two things to pay attention to. One, the driving position; with the power seat all the way back the steering wheel is a long reach. Two, compare the Tribute and Escape carefully. They package the options very differently. I find the 6-way power seat very necessary for comfort. You can get that feature in lesser priced editions of the Escape compared to the Mazda.

Good Move
By Bill Cupo (The Coop) on 03/27/06 18:36 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Tribute i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a Mazda Protege 5 for this SUV and found a vehicle that was just as much fun to drive and believe it or not, not that much worse on gas mileage. This 4 cylinder SUV has plenty of pick-up for me since I won't be towing a camper or boat anytime soon. Plenty of front leg and head room, good view of the road, and comfortable on long rides, I plan to keep this vehicle for a while.

Best values/Reliability is your luck
By Wayne on 03/20/06 13:24 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Tribute s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After only 600 miles, the transmission is locked up. Dealers replaced it with a rebuilt transmission within two weeks. It should be replaced with a brand new transmission. The car now has 7000 miles on the odometer and it is running fine now. Actually, I am kind of lucky to have the transmission completely lockup. Otherwise, I will only get 8-10 miles a gallon but it will never get fixed.