Used 2005 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Good Deal, but needs some minor help
By Heather

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, my 2005 Tribute S has plenty of room, handles decent & good pickup. Iíve always driven high-end luxury sedans & SUVís and while this isnít in their class with style, comfort, drive and some of the interior options, bells and whistles, it is a great deal. I get alot of compliments and would recommend this SUV for someone restricted to that price bracket. I transport alot of sporting equipment on the roof. This is the one reason I will not be a repeat Tribute owner. Mazda made a huge mistake making the rook rack extremely short.Unless you replace the entire rack with a custom rack, then this is not the SUV for outdoor enthusiasts needing to carry sport equiptment on the roof.

Side air vents are very versatile, but center air vent movement is terrible. Overall drive and HIGHWAY (not city) mileage is very good. Lots of room. Nice outside body style. Love the in dash 6 CD changer.

Limited movement on middle airvents. There is plenty of unused roof space to further extend the roofrack towards the front. The limited width which you can extend the crossbars is a big hindrance with anyone wanting to transport anything on the roof. And there is way too much wind noise.

Love the V-6
By Tim in Iowa

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The V-6 Tribute is fantastic--very smooth and a blast to drive. Does not have that tippy feel that SUVs often have. I am 6'1" 195 lbs and feel very comfortable in the drivers seat. Gas prices seem to have motivated sellers-- I got mine below invoice plus $4000 in rebates. People complain about the gas mileage. I am getting a solid 20 mpg -- not great but better than I was led to believe. Good driving habits help. I got pkg 1 -- interior is okay, maybe a little plasticky. Pkg 2 gets you leather and walnut dash but no moonroof which I had to have. Pkg 3 gets you everything but it will cost you. I live on a gravel road where dirt is an issue. The titanium gray does a good job hiding it.

Exterior looks blow away its twin the Ford Escape. Nice large moonroof. I like the firmer seats (much like those of a volkswagen). Though some people find them too hard I think they compliment the trib's stiffer suspension. I like the adjustable lumbar support. Middle-mounted shifter is nice.

Gas tank is 16.5 gal -- 18-20 gal would have been more appropriate. Rear visibility not great -- taking out the middle seat headrest helped.

great small suv
By john

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

the car is fun to drive and with the v6 eng it is very peppy on the road-the sound system is top shelf-i got the top model- i like that they only have two models and they come fully equipped depending on which one u get -i have the es it came standard with side airbags-it is supposed to be like the ford escape but the escape only has a 3 year 36 warranty the mazda has a 4 year 48 warranty-the ford model charges you for everything extra-ford wanted $100 for a cargo cover on the xlt escape and the tribut had it as standard-my only complaint is that in my model the column mounted shifter blocks a radio volume control a bit but this has now been eliminated with the floor console

stereo-6 cd changer-sunroof-4 wheel drive-excellent handling and pep

better colors-brite red and brite yellow

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM
By Pammy J

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Wonderful at the gas pump. Fun to drive. Classy, sporty and stylish all in one. Easy to maneuver in tight spaces. The kids love it as well. My daughter wants it for her first car. That will be a fun fight!!! Comfortable on long trips. Plenty of storage space. The price is right. Got a great deal on the base model. Decent warranty. Glad to have. Looking forward to future driving with it.

Cargo space. The design of the interior. The space in the second row (no leg cramps back here). Keyless entry and panic button. Fold down second row seat. Simply yet elegant interior design.

Make a rear step plate and wheel locks standard. Make the door handels inside the vehicle a little stronger.

Happy buyer
By Sigor111

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I must say that this is one of the best smalll SUV in US market I didn't want to waste money on . I bought it with 4 cyl engine sincegas with V6. MPG is currently around 22 which is good for the first 1500 miles. Car drives great and it has enough power for drriving around town. The only thing that I dodn;t like about this car is that the engine is very noisy. I dodn't know if that is normal, but I will check with my dealer to make sure that all bolts on the exhaust are tight. I am not used to that sound of engine. Other than that great car and with 4 000$ in rebates this is currently the best buy in this market segment.

1. Driving position 2. Roomy for the car in this segment 3. Good gas mileage

1. I never saw more stupid A/C controls in my life. They should fire the designer of this. 2. Interiour design. Factory should redesign and match interior of Mazda 3 or 6 3. Move antena on the roof position