2005 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Blown engine
By pjl7 on 09/08/13 04:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We read all the reviews about this vehicle before we bought two years ago. This is not the car to buy if you are looking for a reliable older vehicle. Yesterday, the engine blew and left our son stranded on the interstate. We now have a decision to put another $2,000 to $3,000 to fix or just scrap and payoff the remainder of the five year loan. Less than 100,000 miles, no warnings! Do not buy this vehicle.

Nice small SUV , handles like a car
By GeorgeP on 11/14/08 13:55 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got the stripped down manual transmission version, so no ranting here about useless options. It has held up well now after 3 years. No real rusting yet on the sheet metal. Some of the interior has a cheap plasticy feel, the handling is good on corners, does not want to flip like some SUVs. Motor is a bit underpowered on the 2.3L motor, feels like a 2.0L motor in a SUV. Decent build and design otherwise.

Somewhat Disappointed
By tributedriver4now on 11/22/07 17:53 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have 50,000 miles on our Tribute and I must say that I have been disappointed in the gas mileage (nowhere near what was rated). I purchased the 4 cyl to get better milage but often get below 20. The 4 cyl isn't quite enough power for this vehicle. When it is loaded down and the AC is running it can't pull small hills without shifting down. The seat material shows every spot and has to be cleaned very often. But the price was right compared to the Ford Escape twin. Much of the features would have cost more on the Ford version.

4cyl Tribute 29 mpg
By golfguyy on 05/24/07 05:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For what this vehicle is, a small suv with a 2.3L 4cyl that you can fill with your stuff, it is PERFECT. It comes loaded w/single CD, AC, alloy wheels, per W/L/M, tilt. The only option I wanted was cruise and that was only about $150 extra. 2.3L w/the 5 spd has plenty of get up and go, AND just checked mileage again to find this 4cyl front wheel drive got 29.1 mpg! For the size of the SUV and what you can haul in it, you can't beat it.

My Zoom-Zoom
By jgoldfish on 06/22/06 20:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Tribute is an excellent SVU. It is perfect to haul the skis, kids, dogs, bikes, etc. with a great sporty look that we were looking for. We tested the Saturn look alike, thought it was too cheap inside. We didn't every let the kids in at the dealership because we were afraid something would fall off in the interior of it. The service at our Mazda dealer was superior to any dealer in the area. Even a year after the purchase our dealer and the Mazda dealership is always there to answer any question we have just as friendly as the date of purchase.

Great Little Ride
By alaskanseminole on 04/26/06 11:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my 2003 Chevy Tahoe which was the best vehicle I ever owned. Sadly gas prices forced me into a smaller SUV. Fortunately the Tribute took the sting out of losing my Tahoe. GREAT LITTLE SUV! I love the fact the 2005 model allowed the upgraded interior for the 4 cylinder. The power leather seats are great. The only options this little guy doesn't have is the v6 and sun roof. I average between 19 and 22 MPG around town. I'm still anxious to see what it will get on a road trip. With the aluminum wheels, color keyed exterior and side-step bars this SUV looks sharp. My only complaint is the 4 cylinder doesn't have enough power to get out of its own way much less fast moving traffic--IT IS SO SLOW!

Good Move
By Bill Cupo (The Coop) on 03/27/06 18:36 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a Mazda Protege 5 for this SUV and found a vehicle that was just as much fun to drive and believe it or not, not that much worse on gas mileage. This 4 cylinder SUV has plenty of pick-up for me since I won't be towing a camper or boat anytime soon. Plenty of front leg and head room, good view of the road, and comfortable on long rides, I plan to keep this vehicle for a while.

sports car soul
By BigDog on 12/18/05 17:54 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This zippy SUV is perfect for the Sierra foothill region. Its on demand 4WD creates the most sure footed vehicle on the road. Interior supports everything we need to do, camp, shop, carry large objects and is a great weekend toy while still being a good looking car for business.

2005 Mazda Tribute
By Laura on 06/29/05 13:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Mazda Tribute with fwd and 4 cylinder engine gets great gas mileage city and highway. It's great fun to drive.

Happy buyer
By Sigor111 on 05/12/05 22:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I must say that this is one of the best smalll SUV in US market I didn't want to waste money on . I bought it with 4 cyl engine sincegas with V6. MPG is currently around 22 which is good for the first 1500 miles. Car drives great and it has enough power for drriving around town. The only thing that I dodn;t like about this car is that the engine is very noisy. I dodn't know if that is normal, but I will check with my dealer to make sure that all bolts on the exhaust are tight. I am not used to that sound of engine. Other than that great car and with 4 000$ in rebates this is currently the best buy in this market segment.