Used 2005 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Blown engine
By pjl7

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We read all the reviews about this vehicle before we bought two years ago. This is not the car to buy if you are looking for a reliable older vehicle. Yesterday, the engine blew and left our son stranded on the interstate. We now have a decision to put another $2,000 to $3,000 to fix or just scrap and payoff the remainder of the five year loan. Less than 100,000 miles, no warnings! Do not buy this vehicle.

2005 Mazda tribute s v6
By ericvlewis

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Driving strong at 255K miles only 2000 in maintenance since I bought it in 2006 phenomenal vehicle

Acceleration

Going Strong 125k
By tannerrocks

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Mazda I have owned; but this one has been the best car I have ever had thus far. I have had five cars in my life. I have replaced brackes, had some suspension work done (tie rods etc); but having had it since it was brand new I find it stellar. I don't off road with this; I drive on roads only. I travel with it almost annually; and it is our primary car on weekends so I average about 14k a year. I am very disappointed with the newer designs; if i wanted a Jeep I would buy a Jeep; not a Mazda look alike. I am replacing the stereo this year by choice so I can keep driving this one for many more miles.

Most reliable I have ever had.

The windshield blower is not all that great as it never gets to the edge.

2005 tribute problems
By diverdan1

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

since buying this vehicle i have had 7300.00 warranty work done on it and heaven alone knows how much apparently my problems i have spent on it. it is the worst vehicle i have ever owned and suggest to anyone to do some thorough research before ever buying a mazda ford tribute. apparently my problems are not over yet according to my mechanic. buyer be aware when purchasing one of these.

only good thing is acceleration

put a life time warranty on major components

Love this SUV
By seemmons

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love, love, love this car. My tribute currently has 89,000 mi. It's everything a small SUV should be. In the V6 with 4wd, it's powerful quick. I spend 2hrs in mine daily, both highway and dirt roads, and it's just as stable on the mud as it is on pavement. I'm getting around 25mpg. On our first big snow, I hit 4WD, and drove this thing through the mud and 16" of snow up a hill without so much as slip. It's much more stable than I feel the Jeeps are, and when test driving, blew away even the Escape. Mine also has an enormous sunroof, stylish leather and idiot-proof 6 CD changer. There also isn't a dog, a ladder or power tool my hubby and I can't fit in it.

4WD on the button is unstoppable. 3.0L V6 is super powerful Quality sound system Extremely comfortable seats, especially the back which are adjustable. Be aware that it drives like an SUV. If you don't like to hear and feel the road, keep looking. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a Sedan, so for me, the tight steering and suspension that is slightly less than air-ride is a "like"

I wouldn't mind shifting from the console rather than the steering column. When the snow hits, I think downshifting from the console is easier. While I feel the car is really ideal for a smaller person, the radio is a stretch, and I definitely have to lean to reach even the closest buttons. I wish the steering wheel came equipped, but perhaps that will be my next upgrade.