2005 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Blown engine
By pjl7 on 09/08/13 04:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We read all the reviews about this vehicle before we bought two years ago. This is not the car to buy if you are looking for a reliable older vehicle. Yesterday, the engine blew and left our son stranded on the interstate. We now have a decision to put another $2,000 to $3,000 to fix or just scrap and payoff the remainder of the five year loan. Less than 100,000 miles, no warnings! Do not buy this vehicle.

2005 Mazda tribute s v6
By ericvlewis on 08/02/13 15:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Driving strong at 255K miles only 2000 in maintenance since I bought it in 2006 phenomenal vehicle

Going Strong 125k
By tannerrocks on 02/25/12 06:55 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Mazda I have owned; but this one has been the best car I have ever had thus far. I have had five cars in my life. I have replaced brackes, had some suspension work done (tie rods etc); but having had it since it was brand new I find it stellar. I don't off road with this; I drive on roads only. I travel with it almost annually; and it is our primary car on weekends so I average about 14k a year. I am very disappointed with the newer designs; if i wanted a Jeep I would buy a Jeep; not a Mazda look alike. I am replacing the stereo this year by choice so I can keep driving this one for many more miles.

2005 tribute problems
By diverdan1 on 11/05/11 04:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

since buying this vehicle i have had 7300.00 warranty work done on it and heaven alone knows how much apparently my problems i have spent on it. it is the worst vehicle i have ever owned and suggest to anyone to do some thorough research before ever buying a mazda ford tribute. apparently my problems are not over yet according to my mechanic. buyer be aware when purchasing one of these.

Love this SUV
By seemmons on 11/01/11 17:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love, love, love this car. My tribute currently has 89,000 mi. It's everything a small SUV should be. In the V6 with 4wd, it's powerful quick. I spend 2hrs in mine daily, both highway and dirt roads, and it's just as stable on the mud as it is on pavement. I'm getting around 25mpg. On our first big snow, I hit 4WD, and drove this thing through the mud and 16" of snow up a hill without so much as slip. It's much more stable than I feel the Jeeps are, and when test driving, blew away even the Escape. Mine also has an enormous sunroof, stylish leather and idiot-proof 6 CD changer. There also isn't a dog, a ladder or power tool my hubby and I can't fit in it.

Mostly a great car
By zel1 on 05/14/11 05:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have put 164,000 miles on our Tribute, including many long highway trips and back woods driving on two-tracks in the UP of Michigan. We required a new (rebuilt Ford) transmission at 94,000 miles, which possibly can be attributed to driving with cupped tires that probably vibrated it to pieces. Mileage is so-so, up to about 21.5 on the highway (we are usually pretty heavily loaded on trips). A/C, defroster, heater have always given some problems, but still work OK. Never burned a drop of oil, and still has good power on the highway. Hoping to make 250,000 miles.

Careful - has a Ford engine.
By Riley on 07/26/10 11:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV i AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

All Mazda Tribute models are built with a Ford engine. Whether this applies to all Mazda products, I do not know, but I am entirely sure that if nothing else, this does have a Ford engine, and from my experience, most Ford products aren't worth the time or money. Now this SUV has a nice drive to it. A lot of pep or "get-up-and- go," takes corners well, and the steering couldn't be better. Although, when you step on the gas, the engine feels slightly weak, but all things considered, it could be worse. I am sorry to say that this model has given me countless problems, though. I've had to replace all my spark plugs three times and replaced all three catalytic converters. Some transmission probs.

Great ride
By a_clemons on 07/15/10 12:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very dependable and capable car. Great on trips: plenty of hauling space for our small family and plenty of room for stuff and/or large dogs. Gets excellent mileage if you don't exceed the speed limit. High (but bearable) wind noise at highway speeds. Drives like a car. Easy to park.

Fun Car
By Like the Mazda on 06/18/10 19:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have 88000 miles on the Tribute and really like it. Have new front brakes and new tires. However, had to have front left and right axles replaced -- which was a shock as the car handles so well. I do like driving the car and it has held up well. I have leather seats and the leather is still like new. Would definitely buy another one.

No more Zoom Zoom
By No more Fords on 03/03/10 11:21 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Tribute SUV s AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission failed at 27,000 miles, one year after warranty expired. After $3,000 to replace transmission and insure check engine light no longer came on, I traded the vehicle. Mazda declined to make any payment toward replacement of transmission although dealer said it was a manufacturing defect. I have owned three previous Mazda's but Zoom Zoom is gone gone.