Used 2004 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

9 Month Review
By MPV39

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had a hunch that the Tribute would be a very good vehicle because I have owned 2 MPV's and knew the Tribute would be a great addition to the family. Fun at the Beach, in the mountains and love to ride with the Moonroof open. Great Vehicle......so far. Needs the front bracket mounted, but I mounted it anyway because there are 2 small places where you can drive screws into the bumper and display your favorite tag. Go Noles/Dawgs!!!!!

Favorite Features

Moonroof and the stereo and just the overall SUV Experience. I can actually park this anywhere without feeling I have to cram into spaces at the Malls.

Suggested Improvements

Windshield wipers drag even when it rains and makes that awful dragging noise. Make it where you can have the Moonroof and the DVD Player. More color selection. Where did Violet Gray come from? That wasnt on the chart. Looking for the new body design in 2006 I have been hearing about.

Mazda Tribute Review
By Bridget A. D. T.

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle since June 2002. It has been a great SUV. Rides like a car - not a truck. Easy to get in and out - perfect height. Smooth handling on city streets as well as highway driving. Nice compact size yet still roomy enough for large shopping experiences and/or extra cabin guests. Fun looking and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Compact size. Ease of handling. Smooth driving. Drives like a car not a truck. Easy to operate dash board options. Nice sun roof/moon roof - never leaks! Spacious interior for guests and supplies. Good stereo/cd system.

Suggested Improvements

More interior and exterior color options. Higher grade interior materials. Heated seats for winter. Better climate controls for heat/ac for driver, passenger and rear passengers. Only one system not enough for perfect climate for all riders.

Still Scratching My Head
By Joeillini

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have had the Tribute for 1 1/2 years and 18,000 miles. I am still kicking myself for overlooking obvious things that annoy me now. Bad gas Mileage compared to EPA figure, Poor control for sliding sunroof, no passenger-side lock control, front seats sit to high and can't be lowered, hard to use cruise control at night, have had it in the shop 3 times to fix a rattle in tailgate that is only getting worse, the gear shift doesn't read on the dash 50% of the time, the way the engine downshifts going up just a slight incline causing MPG to suffer, cheap plastic interior door panels with no padding, soft brake pads leave dust on front wheels. Its my fault for purchasing the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Stereo, heated seats..the Best is the Mazda emblem..knowing that although it is just a Ford Escape the emblem will help when I trade it in!

Suggested Improvements

Rear view mirror monitors gas mileage, automatic headlights, a sotage place for your garage door opener or better yet Homelink.

Reliable, Great Value, Strongly Recommen
By miatajeff

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 2004 ES 4WD has been a super truck, very reliable, reasonably good mpg (20) for a vehicle this big with this much power. Great value for the money as well, compared to the Grand Cherokee, Subaru, Explorer, etc I am really happy with this vehicle. Has great visibilty and handles very well. Great for people (like me) who need the height of an SUV but still want sporty handling.

Favorite Features

Reliability, value, performance, warantee

Suggested Improvements

I do love this vehicle, but make sure you can get comfortable. The seats are much too stiff for me and the vehicle Desperately needs a telescoping wheel. The HVAC system is silly, make it automatic or make it normal. These are design flaws that may prevent me from buying another.

Amazing Vehicle
By megd726

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this SUV mainly because I missed driving an SUV (I originally drove a Ford Explorer and then went with a Mazda Millenia.) This was the first car I have purchased and I have not been disappointed. Mazda has been good to me as far as service and reliability so I was happy to purchase a Mazda vehicle. This is a fun car to drive. It handles like a car and I often forget that I am driving an SUV. For anyone who is seeking to purchase an SUV, I would highly recommend the Tribute. It has plenty of room for the kids I nannyed for this summer, taking all of my stuff down to school, and getting me around the city. I don't think twice about the reliability of this car. It will get me there!

Favorite Features

Premium audio system is amazing! Visibility is amazing as well! You have perfect view! Love how it handles- it's fun to drive! The all wheel drive is excellent! I've felt it kick in driving through large puddles and driving along dirt roads. Perfect amount of cargo space + plenty of room for 5 people

Suggested Improvements

A larger gas tank would be useful. The fuel economy is a little less than I had anticipated but the car is only at about 5,000 miles, so it still is considered within the break in period. It has improved since I purchased it. Honestly, this is a solid vehicle and I have not come across any problems.