Used 2004 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda Tribute

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

this is the one
By Mike

2004 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I tried both the Escape and Tribute. I liked handling and style of Mazda. Mine is an ES with V6, AWD. This is a very good small SUV. I have had this vehicle for 1 year. It has 22k on it; 11k are mine. I maintain meticulous records of not just the mpg but rate the tank on how much city and highway driving I did and even on how hard I drove it. I averaged 16 mpg across 11k miles where I drove 85% suburban/15% highway. My worst mpg was 14 mpg all city driving and my best mpg was 22 mpg on all highway driving. [It is rated 18/24; I have yet to own a car that got its rated values and probably never will.] If you want a small 6 cylinder SUV, this is the one.

Favorite Features

I like the pep, styling, handling, size, space, sound system, and moon roof. The AWD performance is exceptional in NE winters. The ABS will keep you out of accidents.

Suggested Improvements

I dislike the seating position (mostly due to no telescoping steering wheel) and highway noise. One oddity, a need to adjust the back gate as it made an annoying squeak on even minor bumps in roads. It would be nice to use the AC and control which vents the AC comes from.

I thought it was the best...
By Roger122387 #2

2004 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second review.. i left my last one a little over a year ago.. I thought this car was great.. I have had so many problems.. the stereo has had to be replaced several times.. my passenger air bag cover keeps popping off, the sealing around the doors is coming off, and the wheels keep getting out of alignment (I mostly drive stricly highway). My Waco TX Mazda Dealership tell me that there are no problems with the CD player (it would never play any of my CD's!!), and then they said the airbag cover popping off was my problem.. after enough arguing with them they finally hesitated to fix it. But other than all of that, it has been fun to drive. Great car for out of town trips!!

Favorite Features

The get up and go with my V6 engine, the exterior style of the car, not so happy about the inside look of it. Good and roomy. Great cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Make better quality seats, way better quality CD players since I had more than one replacement, better quality door seals, and just a better car itself!!

1 1/2 Year Review
By kkcaufield

2004 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but good success with this vehicle. Everyone forgets its a small SUV, not a Limousine. It rides like a little stiff - short wheel base- and seats are acceptable. It will never be quiet like a Cadillac, or smooth as a Mercedes. But it's peppy & sporty. Now have 31K miles, and zero complaints. Dealer is excellent. Can't figure our why people complain when they know up front before they buy, its not going to get the gas mielage of a Corolla. And since its a small vehicle, you not going to get a huge gas tank - where would you put it? But...in winter time its great, 4 wheel drive works fine. I would recommend this vehicle highly.

Favorite Features

Radio is fine - yes its a little noisy inside - its a little SUV. Im tall, leg room is fine for me. Car is really peppy, and riding high feels safer. Side Air Bags are a nice feature.

Suggested Improvements

Reverse Back up sensors (now on 05' Mariner, Electric lock on passenger door on Escape)would be nice, but its not like you cant reach over and open or lock the door manually. Lighted controls for Cruise Control would be nice. Sun Roof Controls are a little to close to front dome lights switch.

So far so good
By Doug Paradore

2004 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned a Tribute for one year now with absolutely no issues. I'm very satisfied with the vehicle so far. Great pep, great stereo, comfortable and roomy, great in snow, good handling and road vision, excellent braking. Could use more illumination in cabin for things like the key ignition, cruise control on steering wheels and reading lamps would be preferred in front instead of having to reach behind. And of course the gear shifter is too long. But since the car is such a pleasure to drive and own, these small things are easily overlooked. Buy one now! I also considered and test drove the Highlander, Pilot, & Forester. Believe me this is the best choice of all of them.

Favorite Features

Stereo, 4 wheel drive, large storage compartments, engine pep.

Suggested Improvements

More interior lighting, smaller gear shifter, telescoping steering wheel would be cool.

Great Little SUV
By bushdow

2004 Mazda Tribute DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle in February 2004 I saved thousands on the sticker price. The SUV has performed well. I took it back on Christmas Day for an emmission sensor problem. It is roomy and peppy for a 4 cylinder engine.

Favorite Features

The rear space area is very roomy. I like the fel of the manual transmission. (5 Speed)

Suggested Improvements

Cruise Control and bigger tires.