2004 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Excellent vehicle for your money
By Frankie on 05/25/07 10:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Six weeks after purchase, I got into a bad car accident and I tested its safety; this SUV saved my life. My Tribute got fixed and after almost 60K miles it is still running like new. Fuel economy, quality of the leather interior and difficulty to operate the CD are the only minuses in this car. But the rest are just pluses. I have looked at other SUVs but I have not found the comfort, power and nice look my Tribute has. I think I will have this car for a long time! I took it off road also and its performance was awesome, the rest of SUVs just saw my dust left behind!

Madza2004
By AlaskaKurt on 11/12/06 01:36 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This awd suv is a great little drive. We can drive in snow and ice and it has great traction. Love the dark interior that always goods clean.

Fantastic driving experience
By Vinnie Dee on 10/23/06 10:14 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving over 56 years and my Mazda Tribute has been the most enjoyable drive ever! In three years of driving the only mechanical problem required replacement of the transmission which was dealt with very well by the dealer. It still has a new car smell and each time I get in it I feel as excited as when it was new. The finish is still like new and shines as if just waxed. Soon I will be ready for an upgrade to a more current model.

adequate vehicle
By bookworm on 10/09/06 11:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, not a bad vehicle. Never owned a Mazda and after this may go back later on. NOT very comfortable on lower back for cross country trips. Own 5 speed 4 cylinder engine. Performs ok for size. Shifting can be difficult especially for reverse. Upsides - roomy cargo area, better than average front leg room. Handles well at speed. If you buy a Tribute, go for a v6 engine. Not bad gas mileage for an SUV, averaging about 20/23.

Great Little SUV
By dball1 on 10/04/06 18:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We've had ours since May of 04 and have never had a hiccup out of it. The only issues we corrected were the horrendous Continental tires. The volume knob on the radio is a bit sticky, but that's about it.

Fun for Trips
By LHaas on 07/19/06 12:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV DX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had good luck with this vehicle. No service issues at all. I had a class 3 hitch installed and a transmission cooler and have towed my camping trailer all over the Rockies. It should be considered for towing small-medium loads. I threw away roof rack and installed tracks to accept Thule sliding bars. I can carry two 16'canoes with the 78" bars!

Still Going Strong
By scooter on 04/10/06 16:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Tribute new about two years ago. The styling is very nice, and it really is fun to drive. It has great acceleration, and excellent brakes. It is very easy to park and maneuver. The sound system is fantastic. The only negative I have experienced is the fuel economy. I only get about 17-18 city, and about 24-26 highway. Not bad, but for a vehicle this size it should be better. The build quality is very good. No rattles or other annoying noises after 17,000 miles. Overall it is a very good little SUV.

Love my ZOOM ZOOM
By Sparky on 12/08/05 15:50 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tribute for 1 1/2 years and LOVE it (except the gas mileage). Does great in the snow, even w/o the 4WD engaged. Wonderful ride quality, although there is a little wind noise at highway speeds.

'04 Tribute
By russ on 09/06/05 20:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great vehicle. The cost to own isn't that bad. It gets good fuel economy and can haul a fair amount of stuff. I have two kids so it does see some abuse.

this is the one
By Mike on 09/04/05 20:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I tried both the Escape and Tribute. I liked handling and style of Mazda. Mine is an ES with V6, AWD. This is a very good small SUV. I have had this vehicle for 1 year. It has 22k on it; 11k are mine. I maintain meticulous records of not just the mpg but rate the tank on how much city and highway driving I did and even on how hard I drove it. I averaged 16 mpg across 11k miles where I drove 85% suburban/15% highway. My worst mpg was 14 mpg all city driving and my best mpg was 22 mpg on all highway driving. [It is rated 18/24; I have yet to own a car that got its rated values and probably never will.] If you want a small 6 cylinder SUV, this is the one.