Used 2004 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

I love my Tribute
By Microchic

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I researched all compact SUV's before purchase. Decided that the true cost to own of this vehicle was better for my family. Drives nice, and I don't seem to have the wind problem other are having. I have the base model stereo, and would have rathered the upgrade. The DVD is a life saver for long trips. My daughter can't wait to go on a long trip so she can use it!

DVD player...cargo space...fold-down seats...side curtain airbags for the front passengers

The shifter is in the way. I wouldn't want to move it to the floor, but it always seems to be in the way of the radio. Also, the starter key hole takes a lot to get used to, especially in the dark...need a standard light there.

My Mazda Tribute
By Roger122387

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car back in March and I have really loved it. It has seemed to be a very reliable car. The only problems I do have with it at this point is when I first go to start it (we don't have cold weather where I live), but it seems to almost want to die or not start. It turns over fine but at first it doesn't idle right. I've heard several complaints very similar to this one. At first, my battery light would almost always be on except for when I would drive a couple of hours out of town, but when I would get back in the battery light would be back on. This only lasted for a month.

My favorite part about the car is simply the way it drives. It does have good room inside and perfect places to store things, especially the middle console between the front seats.

I do wish the glove box had a light. I have found it difficult to grab some things from it when I'm in a quick need. Some things I have found to be made cheepy and just doesn't seem heavy duty. But other than that, I definately do love this SUV.

Love my new Tribute
By JRandyH

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the Tribute as a second car to replace a 10 year old explorer. I mainly was looking for 4WD in a small SUV. I was close to buying an excape but the mazda warranty was much better so went with them. The car drives like a dream and my other car is an Acura TS type L. It sits high and is really fun to drive.

Drives nice and handles extremely well. Nice compact size and very comfortable and I am 6-5. Attractive body style...haven't tried the 4WD yet but like the option of having the choice of selecting which was taken off the 2005.

The ignition switch is hard to get used to. The road and engine noise is a little excessive. I also would like a tint on the top of the windshield. The premium radio is nothing to brag about and still messing with it.

Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4x4
By cphuey

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchase my Mazda Tribute from a local Mazda dealer in the Mpls/St Paul area. Went to three different dealers, ended up going to back the 1st dealer. My Tribute is loaded, with leather, had 5000 miles on it demo. I have driven in the cities daily, and to the Black Hills. The SUV sticks to the road even the wind. Engine has pently of power for SUV. It is does not feel like a big SUV in tight parking lots, crusing around the cities. Seats are very comfortable, good viewing all around the SUV.

V6 3.0 liter Engine, console, heated seats.

Gas Mileage, and the cruise control would stay within mile or two of the destinated speed, car tends to take off over hill peaks, and long downward hills

Surprising 2004 Mazda Tribute LX-A
By hughlock

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV is just plain old fun to drive. The steering is extremely responsive with no "center dead space" to limit reaction time. Some people have complained about the wind noise at high speeds; I suggest you test drive some of the other makers of SUV's and you will change your mind. The Tribute is an overall success at a great price. Mine was less than $20,000.

Responsive steering

My only complaint was resolved with the 2005 model with moving the gear shift to the console.