IN balance, best ever
By Oldfrat on
2003 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
I've owned and driven a lot of vehicles in the past 40 years including a 63 Corvair, 2 67 Corvettes, big Plymouths, Mercurys and Cadillacs, and a Dodge Ram truck. My 2003 Tribute is clearly the best ever on an overall basis. The other ones did some things a lot better than the Tribute, but none did everything to the same good level. It has the most driver leg room of any car I've owned. I have used the temporary 4WD to go through some really hairy places. Put the rear seats down and it can carry a surprising amount of stuff. And it is surprisingly kind of fun to drive in most situations.
Favorite Features
Wonderful for tall drivers. Tons of leg and head room! If you get a dashboard message saying your air bag isn't working, go to Google - not your dealer. Your dealer will tell you about the $500 fix. Google will show you how to fix it yourself in about 10 minutes.
Suggested Improvements
Wind noise and the gear shifter, as others mentioned. Also, I have three pins in my hip. The very firm seats just about killed me on my first long drive. I then added a very thick gel seating pad (which the Tribute's high head room made possible) and can now drive 12+ hours with no problems.