Used 2003 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

New Rotors at 30,000 miles...WTF!!!
By Mike Valentine

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been told by Kona Mazda/Suburu that the 2003 Mazda Tribute ES (may apply to other years and models) requires new rotors at approximately 30,0000 mile service...WTF. They state that they can't be shaved because they wear down just like the brake pads and do not groove the rotors thus allowing a mechanic to shave them. Further, Mazda dealer states a federal sticker is located somewhere on the rotor that warns or states not to shave them. Had they told me this when I bought it new...I would have never bought this piece of crap. That was my fourth and last Mazda. Hello Honda!

Favorite Features

Everything until the Brake Rotor issue came up.

Suggested Improvements

Brake Rotors that don't need to be replaced at 30,0000 miles under normal driving conditions.

Great SUV
By lespitz

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great little SUV for the money. The Ford 3.0 V6 performs great. We live in the mtns with tons of snow and the 4wd system performs great along with the 4 wheel ABS. Gets better gas mpg than the Subaru outback wagon we used to own and has more power.

Favorite Features

6 disc in the dash stero. 4wd system Rear cargo, good handling.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shift lever in the way of stero controls

2nd one is better
By jaybud31

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought one in april 2003 brand new 400 miles on it (from transporting) was in the shop m-fri for i think...the first 3 weeks, I got it back on weekends, they couldnt figure out the problem with the engine/cooling lights coming on constantly. I requested after the 4 week, I get to "swap" for a different one, as i had a 1200 mile road trip planned, that was why i bought a new vehicle, so I picked another new one with 15 miles on it in May 2003 paid more, but the 2nd one has been great! no regrets. I love it.

Favorite Features

I love the look, the sound system, the warranty is better than most. after 2 yrs of ownership, it still feels new to me.

Suggested Improvements

i havent looked into the 2005's to see what all is new, other than i know the gear shift is now on the floor, which i wish they would have done from the start. maybe an armrest in the backseat, if the 2005 model didnt add it.

GOOD FUN AND RELIABLE
By vinlanda

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wasn't sure at first, but have grown to like this vehicle. Good pep, sporty style, and easy on the eye. Only downfalls, are the interior collects way to much lint and dirt, and the gas pedal is too hard or sticky. But overall it is a good vehicle and am pleased. Little noisy, but better tires helps that.

Favorite Features

Pep, looks, style.

Suggested Improvements

Different interior materials for seats and dash, and loosen up gas pedal.

My second Tribute
By BC

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my second Tribute having turned in my 2001 Dx for the more luxury ES.Does most things well excpt,sucks gas,13to18mpg,and Continental tires suck big time.Biggest piece of garbage for tires,after 5000 miles they feel square and makes lots of road noise

Favorite Features

easy to drive,performs well

Suggested Improvements

glad they put the shifter on the floor for '05,always interferes with the radio,bad gas mileage