Used 2003 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Most Helpful|
great vehicle
By bill

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I liked the price compared to the Toyota Highlander which I almost bought instead. After 43K, only had a recall on the accelerator cable -- other than that not one problem.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, stereo, auto 4 wheel drive plus being able to lock it in 4 wheel drive, power of the V6.

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone else's complaint, the tires are excessively noisy. I can't wait until they wear out. Shift lever location, passenger door locks.

A Few Problems
By Drex

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far I've had to change the alternator. Replacement was done at the dealer (ouch) so I was given an OEM alternator with a whopping 1 yr/12,000 mile warranty. Nice going there. The shifter gets in the way too much. I notice if you put the SUV in park, it still has a tendency to roll a bit after you take your foot off the brake. Even after fixing the recalled accelerator cable, the SUV still has a tendency to lurch forward when taking your foot off the accelerator. Rear liftgate hatch has broken and won't lock. Cost of repair is over $300. High highway noise, not so good gas mileage, not pleased with Mazda overall.

Favorite Features

Small SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Move shifter, fix accelerator issues, more comfortable seats.

Pretty good, but many small headaches
By No Name

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 Tribute FWD LX new and have been pretty pleased overall. 90k miles, still has original tires with plenty of tread. However, have replaced wheel bearings (~$450), brakes and rotors, throttle cable sticks and steering wheel squeaks, even after several attempts to have fixed under warranty. Now, power steering fluid leaks, alternator is going bad (seems to be common problem), and rust is forming on the tailgate (water collects on the window frame). However, gets decent MPG (20 city/ 25 hwy) and drives great, handles snow and ice well with FWD. Comfortable seats and fits my 6ft frame with no problems. Ok overall, but wouldn't buy again compared to others.

Favorite Features

Comfortable power with decent MPG, excellent snow handling. Overall strong performer, but no features jump out as excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Improve dealer shop repair success rate, give longer warranty. Move alternator to cooler position to alleviate failures. Reduce road noise.

The Best Vehicle I've EVER Owned!
By tributetomazda

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it in Nov. '02. I just cleared 170,000 Miles. Sure! There have been some quirky issues. The most annoying: the illuminating light which shows you what gear you are in went out recently and there is a short in a harness that indicates the status of the airbag. I had my power moon roof switch replaced. Most expensive repair 150,000 mile tune up required the replacement of the "Coil Packs" on all 6 cylinders @ $118 each! With the other routine maintenance I had performed = $1000. Replaced the Battery @ 170,000. Replaced steering linkage arms "clunking" at 125,000. First tires went 70,000. Second set 70,000. Now in only the third set. Brakes, somewhere way back when. Oil! Thats it!

Favorite Features

Powerful! Will squeel the tires! Towing my 2500lb Bass Boat pushes it a bit! Very Comfortable. Drives beautifully!

Suggested Improvements

Coil Packs are too dang expensive!

Over 300,000 miles
By bluechicken

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Mazda Tribute new in December 2002. I live at 6,000 ft elevation on a mountain. For the first 9 years of owning my Tribute, I commuted 100 miles a day, mountain road all the way. My Tribute had no trouble pulling the grade going up the mountain. It performs great in the snow with snow tires. It is a very stable vehicle. I now have 306,000 miles on my Tribute!! The only major repairs I have done is a new alternator at 175,000 miles, at 280,000 the radiator blew. When having the radiator replaced I had the coil packs and spark plugs replaced since they were still original!!! Other than those repairs it was just the normal stuff .. batteries, brakes and oil changes.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable interior. Great visibility.