Used 2003 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

great atTRIBUTEs
By axlr8

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our very first SUV and we are very happy with it. The power and handling is comparable to many sports cars and you get a higher driving position that gives you a panoramic view with little or no blind spots. Room is ample for both passengers and cargo. In my opinion, it is also the most beautiful small SUV in the market. And we like the fact that the road is not saturated with them.

Favorite Features

Good power and handling, good sounding stereo system, roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Shifter gets on the way while operating radio and A/C, a little more sound dampening would help.

New Rotors at 30,000 miles...WTF!!!
By Mike Valentine

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been told by Kona Mazda/Suburu that the 2003 Mazda Tribute ES (may apply to other years and models) requires new rotors at approximately 30,0000 mile service...WTF. They state that they can't be shaved because they wear down just like the brake pads and do not groove the rotors thus allowing a mechanic to shave them. Further, Mazda dealer states a federal sticker is located somewhere on the rotor that warns or states not to shave them. Had they told me this when I bought it new...I would have never bought this piece of crap. That was my fourth and last Mazda. Hello Honda!

Favorite Features

Everything until the Brake Rotor issue came up.

Suggested Improvements

Brake Rotors that don't need to be replaced at 30,0000 miles under normal driving conditions.

A Few Problems
By Drex

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far I've had to change the alternator. Replacement was done at the dealer (ouch) so I was given an OEM alternator with a whopping 1 yr/12,000 mile warranty. Nice going there. The shifter gets in the way too much. I notice if you put the SUV in park, it still has a tendency to roll a bit after you take your foot off the brake. Even after fixing the recalled accelerator cable, the SUV still has a tendency to lurch forward when taking your foot off the accelerator. Rear liftgate hatch has broken and won't lock. Cost of repair is over $300. High highway noise, not so good gas mileage, not pleased with Mazda overall.

Favorite Features

Small SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Move shifter, fix accelerator issues, more comfortable seats.

Pretty good, but many small headaches
By No Name

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 Tribute FWD LX new and have been pretty pleased overall. 90k miles, still has original tires with plenty of tread. However, have replaced wheel bearings (~$450), brakes and rotors, throttle cable sticks and steering wheel squeaks, even after several attempts to have fixed under warranty. Now, power steering fluid leaks, alternator is going bad (seems to be common problem), and rust is forming on the tailgate (water collects on the window frame). However, gets decent MPG (20 city/ 25 hwy) and drives great, handles snow and ice well with FWD. Comfortable seats and fits my 6ft frame with no problems. Ok overall, but wouldn't buy again compared to others.

Favorite Features

Comfortable power with decent MPG, excellent snow handling. Overall strong performer, but no features jump out as excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Improve dealer shop repair success rate, give longer warranty. Move alternator to cooler position to alleviate failures. Reduce road noise.

The Best Vehicle I've EVER Owned!
By tributetomazda

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it in Nov. '02. I just cleared 170,000 Miles. Sure! There have been some quirky issues. The most annoying: the illuminating light which shows you what gear you are in went out recently and there is a short in a harness that indicates the status of the airbag. I had my power moon roof switch replaced. Most expensive repair 150,000 mile tune up required the replacement of the "Coil Packs" on all 6 cylinders @ $118 each! With the other routine maintenance I had performed = $1000. Replaced the Battery @ 170,000. Replaced steering linkage arms "clunking" at 125,000. First tires went 70,000. Second set 70,000. Now in only the third set. Brakes, somewhere way back when. Oil! Thats it!

Favorite Features

Powerful! Will squeel the tires! Towing my 2500lb Bass Boat pushes it a bit! Very Comfortable. Drives beautifully!

Suggested Improvements

Coil Packs are too dang expensive!